 Marketplace / Shopping / 10902
Re: My Pick-A-Brick Experience
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 18:03:39 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Mike Walsh wrote:

Thanks for sharing the story, I always like hearing about these types of things.

Personally, I would really like to see Pick-A-Brick sold by weight!  I
realize that the store doesn't typically cater to many people like me who
come in and by 15-20 cups of PAB .  It is curious that PAB is sold at LLCA
by weight and at the new stores by the cup.  Any of you insiders know why?

I think there may be some benefits to the cups over the weight system. I took
one of the large cups with me on my last trip to LLCA to try to answer this
question. The smallest element I saw at the LIC Anaheim store was the 1x2 brick.
So I filled the large cup with the 1x2 bricks (not packing them just filling the
cup) and weighed it -- the price came to about $25. But I thought that was high
so I weighed the empty large cup, it would cost just about $5 if you were going
by weight. So basically what I am taking awhile to say is a large cup filled
with 1x2 bricks would cost you about $20 (thats minus the weight of the cup) if
going by weight. My kids did not give me enough time to weigh other elements I
guess I will have to do that on my next trip. But I can't imagine elements like
trees and other larger items being a better deal by the cup, even well packed.

So basically I think its what you are buying that determines if the weight or
cup system is better.

I asked the employee at LLCA why this one was by weight when all the stores and
even other LL's were by the cup and he had no idea why. I suspect only a few
very-high up people at Lego could answer this question.

Mark P
http://www.landofbricks.com