 Marketplace / Shopping / 10900
10899  |  10901
Subject:
My Pick-A-Brick Experience
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 14:49:19 GMT

I had the opportunity to visit the new Chicagoland LEGO store at Woodfield
Mall last night.  Tim Courtney and Ondrew Hartigan (who both work there but
were not on duty) offered to meet me at the store and I met up with them
shortly after 7:00.

Over the years I have had the opportunity to visit a number of LEGO stores
(Outlets at Potomac Mills and Dawsonville, LICs in Anaheim and Orlando, Big
Shop at Windsor and LLCA) but walking into the store and seeing the
Pick-A-Brick selection prominently featured on the wall towards the front of
the store was a very cool experience.

Working from the pictures that Chris Philips had posted a few weeks ago with
the inventory from one of the new stores in Boston, I figured I was
committed to at least $100 based on the items I figured I would want.
Ondrew quickly demonstrated the benefits of packing a cup correctly by
stuffing two loosely filled small cups of 2x3 plates into one single small
cup!

I had not planned on packing the cups even though I realize I would not be
maximizing my brick expenditure as  I had a limited amount of time to spend
at the store (even though I ended up staying until it closed).  I ended up
packing a couple cups, one simply to see how long it would take, the other
to maximize the number of sand blue 1x4 bricks I could get (love that
color).  In the end, I simply didn't  have the patience nor the time to pack
more than a couple of cups.  It takes a while although I imagine with
practice, you could get pretty quick at it.  Even only packing a couple of
cups and having help from Tim and Ondrew, it took the better part of an hour
and a half to pick and pack approximately 20 cups of bricks (it is not all
for me, I purchased some for others back in North Carolina too).

Personally, I would really like to see Pick-A-Brick sold by weight!  I
realize that the store doesn't typically cater to many people like me who
come in and by 15-20 cups of PAB .  It is curious that PAB is sold at LLCA
by weight and at the new stores by the cup.  Any of you insiders know why?

Now I have no idea what I will do with a bunch of dark pink bricks but the
simple fact that you could buy it by the handful was too tempting to pass
up!  Now to get it all home.  I need to get it boxed up and sealed tightly
for the journey home which takes me to San Jose before I head back to
Raleigh.

Thanks again to Ondrew and Tim for coming to the store to meet, it is always
cool to put names and faces together in real life.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com