 Marketplace / Shipping / 61
Re: Mailing out of US....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 05:09:29 GMT

Julie Krenz wrote:

I don't include an invoice type note in foreign orders, since I check
"gift" on the customs slip.(Even though I feel like the customs police are
gonna haul me away every time I do that.) I figure my buyers can refer to our
emails to be sure of what they got, I know they appreciate it.

You may want to reconsider doing this. Check out Matt Chiles shipping
rules on his auction and Vault pages for some reasons why. One is that
it has been known to happen for Customs in the UK (maybe other places
too) to sieze a package marked "gift" when it is not, and if that
happens the buyer may never see his item again, or if he does he gets to
pay extra on top of what he would have had to pay as duty. Personally I
do not mark packages "gift", and I put the actual (retail, not
necessarily auction) value on the package too. No buyer has ever
complained, although I know one guy in Japan got stuck with duty on his
package. I have had to pay GST on incoming Lego sometimes too, it's just
part of the purchase price.

Kevin