 Marketplace / Shipping / 587
Re: Time for a time-out from eBay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 2006 03:11:57 GMT

   Over the last few onths, I’ve put in a few offers on LEGO lots on eBay. Won a few, which made me happy, but the last couple really irked me.

First there was the 70 dollar ‘brokerage charge’ from UPS in a lot that came fom the US. Most times, people send stuff via normal post, but this one was UPS--200 dollars for the auciton--20ish dollars for shipping, and i was good. Then the brokerage/tax fee--70 bones... not happy!

$70 brokerage for 200 dollars worth of Lego? This UPS table must be either lying or is about something else, or is not giving the whole story... (starts Calculator)

... My crude calculation says that of your $70 “brokerage” only $37.6 is actual brokerage, the rest is tax on the Lego, $5.85 disbursement fee, and perhaps GST on the brokerage.

My idea would be to keep purchases shipped via UPS small, under $20 preferably, and in no case exceed $40. That’s when brokerage really starts to hurt according to that table.

   The one bright light in all this is that I’ve received my final winning bid--a 6991 monorail... I am now ‘space’ monorail complete :) and I paid a pretty nice price---100 bones for a full monorail set--not too shabby from the other prices i’ve seen...

Congrats on scoring that set. You have 6399?

but i’m giving up on eBay for a bit.... I have enuf RCX’s to last me a while and motors galore for the ‘bots and the train layout.... so I’m done.

Just a heads up--if a seller only ships UPS, don’t bid!!!!

Plus one on don’t buy from anyone who only ship UPS. But we can chalk that up to USPS not being as reliable as it should be. I have a computer power supply on order that was “shipped” almost 3 weeks ago by USPS, and it still has not arrived!

I need to take a ebay timeout as well - as a seller.

Keith

(X-post to market.shipping)