 Marketplace / Shipping / 188
Re: Shipping to Canada, help!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 21:22:42 GMT

James Brown wrote:

In lugnet.market.shipping, Tommy Johnson writes:

I've shipped a 7150 to Canada using small packets airmail, but now my
buyer says the post office called him and wants an additional $9 and
change.  Any idea what is going on here?  Since I mailed the package at
the post office I'm sure the postage is right.  The box is large but
still just under the small packets restrictions.  I'm guessing either
the Canadian post office has made a mistake in measuring the box -OR-
their Customs folks think there are duties to be paid.  I've read
numerous threads here which seem to indiciate that LEGO is duty-free
but I'm not sure they apply to US-to-Canada shipments.

Any ideas what's going on here?  Anyone with experience shipping to Canada?

(no, but I've got lots of experience on the receiving end)

It won't (or better not be!) a duty.  Duties are paid at the receiving end,
and the only duty applying to Lego is a flat 7% GST on the declared value + $5
handling fee, AFAIK but IANACO(1).  This has never in my experience been
processed anywhere but at the receiving (ie. Canadian) end.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/
I'm getting paid for this --> alladvantage.com
Sign up via me, the reference $$ go to fund Lugnet.

1:As Far As I Know but I Am Not A Customs Officer

Apparently it's the GST plus fee, the buyer is going to pay it and realizes
it isn't something I had any control over.  Advice for sellers: advise your
Canadian buyers to be ready for these charges!
-Tommy