 Marketplace / Shipping / 13
Re: Shipping from the UK
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 09:23:24 GMT

Richard Dee writes:
Something I have learned, shipping to anywhere from the UK.
It is imperative that you make sure that you use the
"No letter in the box" shipping method, as it can cost
substantially more if the teller believes that there is a
letter inside!

I don't get that. Who do you normally use for shipping?

I just enquired with ParcelForce (in the UK)
about shipping to the States.
What I was told was to take the item to the post office and ask
for the International Standard Service (about £20 for 2kg and then
seems to go up by about £3 per half-kg) - this takes 5-8 days and
the price includes insurance (up to £250).

They explicitly said it doesn't matter if there's a letter in with it,
but did tell me to write 'unsolicited gift' on the box to avoid
having to pay customs duties on arrival. (Not sure I like the sound of
that as that sounds dishonest if someone's paying me for the set).

Any comments?

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com