 Marketplace / Services / 69
Re: Suspension of UK factoring services (was Re: Suspension of English factoring services
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.market.services
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 09:56:42 GMT

OK, since this discussion appears to be to some extent
about me, I may as well make a rare excursion out of
loc.uk :)

Larry's factoring service is a great service, offered
at an extremely good price (Larry seriously charges
a fair bit less than I would charge if I was doing what he
does). But the service does depend on a good balance
of sales - about the same value of Lego leaving a
country as entering it. For some reason that's not
been the case in the UK recently - most of the Lego
seems to be leaving the UK and heading elsewhere.

Well it's obvious WHY - the 8880s, 8448s, and 3225s, at a minimum, have • been on
deep clearance in the recent past in the UK.

What peeves me about this is that I asked in loc.uk for ANYONE to pick • some up for
me at cost plus shipping back when it was known the 8880s were being • dumped cheap
(I think around $50 USD, possibly less), as I have done for others all • over the
world....and not ONE reply.  You'd think some/anyone, while buying dozens • of them,
could have picked some up for me.  And some 8448s.  (That being said, I • can't seem
to find the post ANYWHERE on Lugnet, so it might not have gone through, • which would
peeve me off even MORE, because if it had, I might have gotten an answer
:-/   )

I can't speakfor everyone on the UK on this, but I think the knife cuts both
ways on this one - I must  missed the post
offering up the items sold on clearance (Target/WB) stateside to us in the
UK?

The 3225 / 8880 / 8448
The 8880 were available to you at £50 (minus vat @ 17.5%) via Busy Bee up
until a few months ago. I know Jason B. was passing them on at that price,
or at least not much over it, a few months ago. All mine cost me £45 (via
another well known source), I've done a few trades which reflected this
cost... but never sold one for less than £60 (I think). I did offer them on
a referral basis for £35 but got no takers (although I did buy one at that
price - Thanks Jason). I have passed 8480's (or parts from) on at cost to
people who have helped me out in other ways stateside. As for the 3225, I
only know one place that sells this in the UK - and their price has always
been £40 - although I have got them for £30 via a contact in Germany (thanks
Torsten). As for the 8448 and other Argos clearance items, I have passed
these on at cost and done trades which reflect the cost of these items to
me.

I think it is distracting to talk about specific items. Basically, I'll help
anyone who helps me. However, it does annoy me a little to go through the
hassle of packing and mailing a big set like the 8880 at ~cost, only to see
it on ebay before the recipient even has it in hand.

Anyhow, you may get lucky soon. As I've just got a new job - one which means
I can't store large amonts in my office (well concealed). There is no room
for this stuff at home (and my wife does not know it exists)..... so, as the
Manics would say, everything must go...

Scott A