 Marketplace / Services / 516
Re: Cashing Postal Money Orders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 04:28:06 GMT

In lugnet.market.services, Bryan Wong writes:
Hi,

I have a few green Postal Money Orders from USPS that are only negotiable in
the US.  Since I'm in Canada, my bank won't let me do anything with those
money orders.  What places can I cash them at in the US (I live close to the
border)?  I once tried a bank, but since I didn't have an account with them,
they said "nope, sorry."

Two things to do:

1)  Scold your U.S. buyers.  (In a friendly Canadian tone)  They should know
better.  Tell them to send the pink 'International' ones.  It's easy... the
green ones say 'Domestic'... the pink ones don't.  :)

2)  Try another bank.  Or, if you're otherwise happy with your current bank,
ask to speak with a service supervisor.  Most retail branches have someone
in such a position.  A gentle reminder of what a good customer you are and
how much you would like to continue to do business with them will usually
result in them "finding a way" to help you.  You are the customer, they
should want your business.  My bank is able to do it for the simple fact
that they have offices physically located in the U.S.  It's my understanding
that any such money orders are taken in by my branch (here in Canada) then
somehow transferred to the U.S. branch to be cashed.  I'm not exactly sure
how it works, but it does.

Just my advice... based on a number of similarly received 'Domestic' money
orders.

Good luck with your money orders,
Allan B.