 Marketplace / Services / 405
404  |  406
Subject:
My worst E-Bay/LEGO Experience-A Story, A Warning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 04:13:52 GMT

I've wanted to share this story since I first started posting to LUGNET, but
couldn't find the information to share until doing some digging around the
house on other LEGO related business this evening.

This story is a warning to my LUGNET friends about an extremely unscrupulous
E-Bay seller I encountered in the fall of 2000. Some of this story falls
under the catagory of 'buyer beware', but my actions can be chalked up to
high excitement and lack of sleep at the time.

I found an auction for set 4164-Mickey's Fire Engine after a 24 hour shift
at work. While I have never had a LEGO 'Dark Age' like some others, neither
did I keep up as fervently then as I do now with what's new and exciting in
the LEGO universe. This was new to me, and VERY EXCITING! I has seen LEGO
clone sets out of Walt Disney World, but never would have bought those. I
had heard rumors of older, official LEGO/Disney sets, and had already bought
some Duplo Winnie-the-Pooh sets...but this was MICKEY! It looked like
Fabuland too, and I still had some of those around, so even cooler! Little
did I know at the time...

Well, I bid on the set, and won it. I was happy. Because I was bidding at
the very tail end of the auction, I didn't have a chance to ask the seller
any questions via e-mail, but after I won, I immediately e-mailed the seller
to request payment instructions. I also asked if the seller could tell me
where he got the set, and how old it was. All I received back was an address
to send a check to. Little did I know at the time...

So I sent the check right out...and waited...and waited...and waited.
Numerous e-mails went unanswered. I begged. I pleaded. I saw...the same
Mickey's Fire Engine at Wal-Mart. I thought "What the hell?!?". Little did I
know at the time...

Well, I had only paid about a dollar above retail for the set, so I didn't
feel TOO stupid. Hey, it could have been worse. But the set still hadn't
arrived. Little did I know at the time...

So a package arrives. Cool. The package is from LEGO Shop-at-Home. I thought
"What the hell?!?". It was Mickey's Fire Engine. I figured out what this
jerk had been up to. I wondered how many other people he had done it to.
'Cause, yep! You guessed it. The S@H invoice was billed to this guy, and
shipped to me. Now I knew.

The moral of this story. Well, there really isn't one. Except to not do
business with seller JOHN A. REICH from HEALDSBURG, CA ever again. And buyer
beware, even if you are REALLY excited and lacking sleep. So I guess there
are kinda' morals. I really just wanted to get this off my chest. OK? Thanks.

Matt