 Marketplace / Jambalaya / 1659
Re: Technic Box 2: The End
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.jambalaya
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 04:35:56 GMT

rhendrix wrote:

In lugnet.market.jambalaya, Frank Filz writes:
How did you feel about what came back to you compared to what you sent
out? Was your experience better than Chris Weeks's?

Frank

The real question (after thinking about it) is what were everyone's views on
the box.  I'd like to get some feedback about how it was good and how it
could be better.

Well, looking back, some things to think about:

- I think it's really worth trying to keep the Jambalaya boxes to 2 lb.
or so, and to really ask people to NOT put basic bricks in and such. If
the box gets too heavy, it's hard to make a fair trade, and feel your
trade was worth the shipping cost.

- While it would be nice to see the average time for a hop drop below
two weeks, I think that's going to be hard to do. Shipping time is
likely to average 3 days, and then throw in a couple days for people
being able to get to the Post Office and a day (averaged out) or so for
people to deal with receiving the box (a package can get trapped for a
day or two if it gets delivered to an apartment complex office or
requires you to go to the Post Office to pick it up), a couple days to
conduct the trade, a couple days because the box arrived on a bad day
(2-3 evenings a week I just don't end up with much time to process
LEGO), a few days if someone wants to share the box with a friend (which
is a good thing I think, each person who gets to trade with a box
without a shipping step is someone who can make a good trade and not
feel they lost most of the value because of shipping costs).

- To increase the "fun" meeting people factor, it might be worth asking
people to contribute something which they feel represents themselves,
but unless people keep it to a post card or picture or so, the items
should also get culled out occasionally so they don't weigh down the
box.

My inclination is starting to lean towards the idea being an interesting
experiment, but doesn't seem to really accomplish much. I guess the idea
sort of started when everyone was dreaming of this treasure trove of
"not quite good enough to sell in AucZILLA" parts Todd wanted to get rid
of. We tried to come up with an idea which wouldn't just bless a couple
lucky folks with some awesome parts (hmm, I just came up with an idea
for Todd for the future is he has parts like this that he wants to just
get rid of, when someone joins, add a couple neat parts to the
membership package, of course that means it can't go in an envelope, but
at least you're already mailing something, and the person did contribute
to Lugnet so it's "fair" in a sense).

I do feel the junk boxes are a good idea, though getting a better feel
for how they work, I think I'll propose some changes. I think I'd like
to sign up folks who have small amounts of junk and send the box through
one or two of them, and then terminate the box at someone who has an
interest in getting a pile of nifty LEGO that others just don't want
because the condition is horrible compared to their collection. This
terminating person should make a contribution to Brickshelf, Lugnet,
Toys for Tots, or some other place which is meaningful to the AFOL
community. The volume of eBay buying I seem to do just seems likely to
mean that I will continue to be able to generate junk boxes every once
in a while. In fact, with this idea, the box doesn't even have to be
large enough to require several dollars of priority shipping, a small
box with 20-30 parts which costs a buck or two to ship would work just
fine. If there are any intermediary folks, they might take a part or two
or three out, add their handful of junk parts, and send it on for a buck
or two. The guy at the end then donates $5-10 (probably should be at
least as high as all the shipping charges along the way). I've actually
got enough for such a box right now.

Frank