 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 7129
Re: Would anyone here pay $500 for a MISB 7710 train?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.trains, lugnet.market.appraisal
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 06:05:19 GMT

My question would be, "How Bad do you want it and why"?  Since I got back into
lego I always asked myself while surfing ebay for Trains, "You've got to be
kidding me they want how much for that"? I'm sure most of us with spare pieces
around could build 98% of the models. I know I am in the running to get my
hands on a 7740. With some slight modifications I could easily build it with
the pieces I have. My guess would be, Us addicts have some sick Fetish about
the actual Set (Box, Instructions, and Pieces). If I know then what I knew now
I would have bought 10 sets of every lego Made from 1979-1998. The newer sets
are not as fulfilling as the older sets. My question would be Lego bring some
of the older sets back.  A good example would be
the metroliner and clubcar. People go Nuts over these. I remember when they
came out but I never bought it because I wasn't into trains at the time. It
went for about 130 Bucks and the clubcar around 50-80 dollars. Say lego made a
limited run of Metroliner and clubcar. Considering $150+ for 4558 and $120
4547. I would probably empty my bank account.

Its been almost 15 years since I asked lego about bulk and NOW they start doing
it. I just hope like hell they get some Train parts in bulk. Especially windows
and doors, I'm sick of this buy 40 sets to make something useful. The only kick
I got was Ames recent goof in the Paper about StarWars. I made out like a
bandit. Now all we need is Lego to run ALL the trains again and somehow have
TRU and Walmart to goof up in an Ad were we could get some more Useful Trains,
and not this stupid sets like 4561. Who do they have building these sets?
Monkeys? I guess they should hire another 999,999 of them and maybe they could
produce the Shakespear of Lego Models. HEHEH Anyhow, If its worth it to you
get it.

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Larry Pieniazek writes:

In lugnet.trains, Dietmar Stuever writes:

but would anyone pay that much for an old whizzle controlled 4.5 V train
from the very early 70s. number is 118/138. (yes, i do have one)

I wouldn't pay more for a copy than Abner did for his.

I forget what he paid exactly but it was a MINT and I do mean MINT in sealed
MINT box copy... it still smelled new when he took the shrinkwrap off in front
of us and the box hadn't even gotten the warping from a bit of damp that most
shrinkwrapped sets get. I think it was (of course) from Italy. I am pretty
sure he paid significantly less than 500 for it.

(ah the glories of living off a trust fund... )

So that's a long winded way of saying "no" I wouldn't go 500 USD. And I have
deeper pockets and a more acquisitive nature than most. I'll give you 500 DM
for it, though.

++Lar