 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 1719
Re: superAUCTION 5: MIB Trades Welcome!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 19:53:03 GMT

   What happened to lugnet.market.theory or technique or whatever it is?

Sybrand Bonsma wrote in message ...
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Mark Harrison writes:

mark musetti wrote:

No this is NOT off-topic.  One can submit a bid in terms of MIB sets
(preferably train or town) for any of my items.  Read rules below.

Thank you,   Mark Musetti

   I disagree with Mark.  I had several auctions a while ago, and the method
I used to sneak my list on to b-s-t was to make an announcement that an
auction was going to occur soon, but if a trade (or cash) offer to my liking
came along, I would forego the auction.  Then a week later I started the
auction, sans traded sets.

I completely agree with you that this is the best place to conduct you
auction/trade.
Lugnet.market.auction appears to be a fizzer with few users and little
exposure.

   How do you support this?  I think the auction group is efficient, gets
lots of on topic posts (now that .theory exists), which are read very
frequently.

As maximum exposure is needed to buy, sell, trade or auction, that site is
woeful.

   Actually I think the .auction exposure is very good, especially when
combined with RTL (which nobody complains about).  I also liked to get as
much exposure as possible, and did use the B-S-T group per its charter to
that end.

I don't think the fact that maximum exposure is needed makes it off-topic • in a
newsgroup. That would would mean that you can best post in ALL newsgroups, • even
things like soc.ronald.reagan, soc.eastereggs or whatever. As the header
indicates in this case, it is an auction. The fact that you can also use • LEGO
sets instead of money doesn't make any difference for me. Still the one • with
the highest bid in cash or in value of LEGO sets wins.
For buy/sell/trade the first 'bid' above the minimum value wanted should be
accepted,I think, no matter if someone else offering twice as much.

   This is right on.  An auction is an auction and belongs in auction.
Pretty simple really.

I think Todd should combine "market auction" and "buy,sell, trade", or he • will
continue to loose people to the dreaded ebay or back to rtl.

   I like the combining idea, but not in the same way as you.  I would be
happy to subscribe to something called lugnet.market, and read posts from
all five .market groups at once.  But I wouldn't want to do away with the
specific groups, just add another that contains the posts from either the 5
groups or the two specifically dealing with Lego commerce.  Actually, its a
cool idea, but probably more trouble than its worth to the guys who do the
work.  I think the reasoning you gave is just silly, though, my only reason
is that it would make my reading more simple and quick and I disagree that
Lugnet will lose all those who use it.  I mean, I don't think Lugnet has had
a significant loss in subscribers.

Mark H.

I don't agree with you here either. If this was the case, nobody would have
come here in the first place. IMO the strong point of the discussion groups • on
Lugnet is that it is all _separated_. People who only want to talk about
building go to lugnet.build, those who want to know about trains to
lugnet.trains, those who want to buy/sell/trade to • lugnet.market.buy/sell/trade
and only those who want to find something in an auction go to
lugnet.market.auction.
However, it might be a good idea to create a new newsgroup, that • automatically
contains the posts from both the auction and buy/sell/trade group. Poeple • who
have interest in both groups have only to check one newsgroup in that case.

   Thats what I was agreeing with above, an "umbrella" newsgroup that
combines the posts from the other groups in that heirarchy for easier
reading, but again, its not that important.  And it would suck if people
were posting auction announcements in .B-S-T and .A and I had to read them
all twice (which happens some times anyway).   I agree with Sybrand's
assertion that the strict diversity of groups on Lugnet is why it is 100
times better than RTL.

Sybrand Bonsma

--

   Have fun!

John ( ig88888888@stlnet.com ) remove NOSPAM:
John's Lego Web Trade Page:
http://www114.pair.com/ig88/lego/index.htm
MOC,CA[cl,bf,cr,fm,bk+++ wp,dm,rk,df++ fk-]++++(6035)
SW,TR,old(456)+++ TO++ PI,SP+ DU--
#+++++ S LS¼ Hy? M+ A+++ LM-- IC12m