 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 15863
Re: Selling my MOC Gunstar (maybe)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:54:56 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Matt Penney wrote:
My basic theory is the smaller you are able to break down your lots (down to
a single piece (bricklink)) the higher return you will get for your pieces.
If you really are willing to sell an $8,000 collection for $2,000 I imagine
there are 10-12 buyers that may take a look (depending if you are assuming
your value on MSRP or actual clearance checkout prices).

That's always been roughly my theory-- however, as you pointed out, and as I've
always been curious, is it *really* true? Essentially, if you sell an entire
collection, you'll be lucky to recoup the full value. Even 1/4 the full value.
And the larger the collection, the less value you'll get back; mostly because
there simply aren't people with thousands of dollars to spend all in one whack.
And those that CAN probably have enough of a collection already and don't need
to actively seek out other vast swaths of brick to add to their already hulking
piles.

On the other hand, selling piece by piece is clearly the most valuable-- lots of
people are looking for 'bulk' of a certain piece/color, and are willing to pay a
tad extra per part rather than buy complete sets with the pieces they need. Only
problem with that being that you run the risk of never selling everything.
You've got a pile of used 2x3's in yellow? Black 1x2 plates? Who wants that?
Chances are a buyer can get them elsewhere, and won't pick your store to buy
from. So there's an awfully big chance that you'll only sell your *useful*
pieces, and be left with a bunch of stuff nobody wants.

And of course there's the happy medium of selling by complete set, which falls
somewhere in between-- but you probably won't sell things that are moderately
recent, since people can still buy them "on sale" or retail or whatnot.

Anyone actually have any stats to prove or disprove the theory? IE how do you
make the most money in the fastest time with the least effort? (Jeez, you can
tell I'm an American, can't you?)

DaveE