 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 14786
Re: Philips brick
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 05:49:17 GMT

Wow, Kevin, Clark,
I am stunned by the number of printed bricks out there.  Of course now I am
determined to find a few more, especially "Feuerwehr".  Any more information
you can give me on which sets the bricks originally came with or how I might
obtain others would be greatly appreciated.  Incidentally, I have the
Philips with the larger type (it took me almost two years to find!)  Oh,
BTW, I was so dissapointed about a month ago that I lost some VERY rare
Dutch bricks on Ebay.  Anyone ever heard of an "Esso drum" brick--I've been
offered one but at a very steep price.
Warmest regards,
Robert Watson

n lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Clark Stephens writes:
Kevin,
The named bricks pack is http://guide.lugnet.com/set/226_2 . It was released
under other numbers, but those are not listed on Lugnet. Named Bricks were
also included in many larger sets. Your date estimate is probably correct,
although named bricks did appear in the 1950's.

I have a particular interest in named beams. I've collected pictures of
almost 200 variations. The collection is stored on Brickshelf:
If you have any variations not shown, I would appreciate a picture. Credit
is given for all pictures submitted. I know of several British-only parts
variations, but haven't found photos yet.

I have 2 Philips brick pictures, 1x6 and 1x8:
I don't know which brick he is refering to (or if there are other
variations). Either size could have been included in the Named Bricks
accessory packs.

I was given no information on the origin of the bricks. The company is
Dutch:  http://www.philips.com .

Hope that helps,
Clark

Visit my Vintage Parts pages, submissions always welcome:

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Kevin Wilson writes:
I believe it came in a set of several printed bricks (in the UK, anyway)
which had other words on them like "HOTEL" "RESTAURANT" "GARAGE" etc. I
still have most of them although some of the printing has worn away. They
must be from the period 1961 - 1970 or so (when I was getting Lego as a kid)
but I can't find them on LUGNET.

Kevin