 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 10614
Re: International shippment and declaired value?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2001 04:16:24 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, James Frank writes:
What do you typically put for the declaired value of a package that is
going across international borders. For legal reasons, should it be the
transaction value, or the insured value, or an arbitrary one?

IANAL but I think it's supposed to be the "real" value of just the
merchandise, that is, what price a willing buyer and willing seller would
agree on with no impediments to making a deal.

I tend to insure packages for more than the value of the cash payment part
of the deal because the way I see it, if I take a loss on a shipment and
file for insurance, my buyer should get a replacement for free. That
includes not having to pay postage (and insurance) again, so I tack those on
to the sale amount to give the insured value amount.

That said, what you are SUPPOSED to put on customs forms and what people
actually do varies widely. Some sellers refuse to underdeclare as they don't
want to be a party to breaking the recepient country customs regulations.
Their perogative. You have to decide for yourself what is right. Personally
I think import duties on goods are a bad economic idea and morally wrong so
I'm a bit more flexible.

++Lar