 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 10624
Re: International shippment and declaired value?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 19:39:54 GMT

On Sat, 7 Apr 2001 04:16:24 GMT , Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, James Frank writes:
What do you typically put for the declaired value of a package that is
going across international borders. For legal reasons, should it be the
transaction value, or the insured value, or an arbitrary one?

IANAL but I think it's supposed to be the "real" value of just the
merchandise, that is, what price a willing buyer and willing seller would
agree on with no impediments to making a deal.

I tend to insure packages for more than the value of the cash payment part
of the deal because the way I see it, if I take a loss on a shipment and
file for insurance, my buyer should get a replacement for free. That
includes not having to pay postage (and insurance) again, so I tack those
on to the sale amount to give the insured value amount.

That said, what you are SUPPOSED to put on customs forms and what people
actually do varies widely. Some sellers refuse to underdeclare as they
don't want to be a party to breaking the recepient country customs
regulations. Their perogative. You have to decide for yourself what is
right. Personally I think import duties on goods are a bad economic idea
and morally wrong so I'm a bit more flexible.

Hehe, I like that :-)

I'm located in the Netherlands (European Union) so whenever I buy something
I ask the seller to put a value of $40 or less on the customs form, at my
risk. Otherwise I need to pay taxes and a few other things as well, adding
up over 22%. And for anything above $40, you pay the 22% over the TOTAL
amount.

When I ship something big to somebody, I usually ask how they want it
shipped and how they want me to fill out the customs form. Ofcourse if I
list it at a value lower than the real value, it's at the buyers risk.

But whenever you do this, use common sense : say 5 big MISB sets with a
declared value of only $40 looks suspicious. OTOH, with used LEGO it's
quite easy, since hardly anybody outside the AFOL community can really
judge the value of it, and standard used toys are worth next to nothing.
--
Jan-Albert "Anvil" van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net
3DGamers simulations editor  | http://www.3dgamers.com