 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 10335
Re: Customized train (was: MTW-2001 Custom Switcher Kit now available on Brickbay)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 03:24:12 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Larry Pieniazek writes:
[...]
http://www.miltontrainworks.com/MTW-2001colorSelector.html

Choose your own colors!  Is this a worldwide first?  I think it is!

Yes, it might be, but I'm not sure. I'm not one to boast, of course(1), so
I'm not going to make that claim.

However I think I've got the combinations up there pretty high at 72030
different possible combinations (some of which are quite icky), which I
suspect is some 72000 or so more than LD is going to do with their custom
train...

As usual, this model will feature bound instructions and a certificate of
authenticity. I have also improved my packaging by using a sturdy box.

I'd like to hear more about instruction binding, if you're not considering
it a trade secret?  I assume you print them on a color laser or inkjet
printer and then take them somewhere to be bound?

Well, "bound" == put into sheet protectors and then into one of those metal
clasp report covers. Dan Siskind was the first Bricksmith to do it that way
and when I saw how nice it looked (when I got his Brickmania 001 Blacksmith
Shop) I switched. I went out and bought an HP LJ 2100 which is a nice B&W
laser. I have experimented with color but wasn't happy with the results due
to line thickness problems which are made worse by color (due to lower
resolution).. but you know all about that, no doubt, since you used to work
in this field, I am just a novice.

Doing it that way is labor intensive but perfect binding is expensive. It
also allows me to put the certificate and custom welcome/congratulatory
letter into the binding, which I couldn't do at the last minute if it was
perfect bound.

I expect to be discussing this in market.theory after I have some
fulfillment experience.

It's never too early to start -- this is a big new thing!

I set FUT there, then.

1 - keep your snickers to yourself.

++Lar