 Marketplace / Brick Shops / 939
Re: Problems with Jay Sim
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.brickshops
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 10:01:37 GMT

Just because wasn't quite what I meant...
I was thinking in terms of giving good reasons but instead "just because"
came thru my typing.
In most cases I agree with Terry on going through with a deal.

Main reason I replied to the original post on here was because I wasn't too
happy that this wasn't addressed to me privately first. Anyhow I don't think
ALL the blame should be on me for what happened. Once I make a deal I
usually like to end it soon as I can but sometimes things happen and also it
doesn't help when the seller delays the process as well.

I try to be a good buyer/seller accordance to common decency.
I have had a ton of deals on/off ebay/bricklink and privately with no
problems at all.

In lugnet.market.brickshops, Terry Prosper writes:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Jay Sim writes:

First thing I can't believe this was posted on Lugnet.

I would tend to agree that posting here about deals gone awry should be a
very last resort. However I'm going to use this post to make a few comments
about deal completion (and I XFUT to theory and brickshops) which are
addressed to everyone, not specifically to Jay.

I think as a buyer, a very picky buyer I have all the rights to think over
any deals I make especially over the internet/email.  Also when my funds get
distributed for any emergency

Agreed. Unexpected emergencies HAVE to take precedence and I think all good
sellers understand this and will gladly cancel the deal.

or just because,

Disagree. I don't know where this deal was started, but on BrickLink, the
terms of service are quite clear. A deal is a deal, and wanting to get out
of the deal on a whim ("just because") is NOT an acceptable thing to do.

You (all readers, not just Jay) will be branded, and rightly so, as a bad
buyer, if you consistently enter into deals, make a committment to the
seller to buy something, and then capriciously change your mind.

Perhaps "just because" wasn't quite what you meant, Jay. But the hobby
doesn't need buyers who make a habit of changing their mind for no reason at
all.

Everyone should think carefully about making their commitment to buy, and
once they make it, stick to it, unless there is some very serious reason (it
is very regrettable that something bad happened to your dog, Jay. I hope
your dog gets better, but it's a perfect example of a serious and acceptable
reason to cancel in my book) not to do so.

Buyers are not dealing with retail stores, where returning something because
they didn't like it or changed your mind is OK or even expected... they're
dealing with fellow hobbyists who are significantly negatively impacted when
people waste their time this way. Please keep that in mind.

I should have all rights to cancel.

As I said, I don't completely agree. Customer service is important and
you'll find the vast majority of sellers do want buyers to be happy and will
take whatever reasonable steps they can, but you're not dealing with retail
stores. Please remember that.

I was just about to say the same thing!  A buyer that orders from a seller
on either Bricklink or eBay HAS to pay for the item and shipping.  It's a
contract.  Unless a good reason comes up, an emergency (which the seller
will have to believe because there are no ways of checking, but thrust is
important in these deals), then the seller will have the right to label the
buyer as a bad one if the buyer refuses to go on with the deal.

Once it is established that the 2 parties won't solve the problem, which
seems not to be the case here, then, IMO, the seller has the right to let
people know about it, but on the correct website (why use lugnet when the
deal is on bricklink or ebay?).  Apples and oranges shouldn't go together.

Let's try to keep this community about news and fun, not about problems with
other members on other websites.

Terry