 Marketplace / Brick Shops / 1372
Re: suspended Bricklink shops
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.market.brickshops
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:48:20 GMT

In lugnet.market.brickshops, Mark Papenfuss wrote:
In lugnet.general, Suzanne Rich Green wrote:

BL needs Lar more than Lar needs BL.

IMHO that has to THE most off base comment I have seen in a very long time.
Bricklink does not NEED Larry, not in any way. IMHO a problem member(1) is
problem member - I do not care what his name was, or what he has done for the
community. You take Larry's name off of this and stick on some random un-known
members name on it and nobody would have cared. But since this is Larry then its
hitting the fan - the very same people who are saying Dan is letting his
feelings get in the way are doing exaclty what they are saying Dan did, letting
their feelings get in the way.

Can you explain why you think BL needs Larry so bad?

Mark P
LoB

(1)I am not saying *I* thought he was a problem member, I have not said
pubically what my thoughts on this are. BUT Dan saw him as a problem member -
and thats what counts.

unfortunately, I don't have time right now to do a big defense of my personal
opinion, or read other posts in this thread, but quickly I will spell out for
you what it was my brief comment meant:

My gut tells me that the Average Joe does NOT follow arguments in the BL forums
and would not know if anyone were truly a problem. Also, average Joe isn't going
to bother to go read through that whole history. As you said, Lar is a popular
figure and, yes, that is why it hit the fan as soon as it was posted to
lugnet.general(!). His popularity good or bad is a strong force, and every
Average Joe's eyebrows will raise, whether or not the info posted was factual,
insane, or whatever. Furthermore, If the not-so-AJ follows the link and reads
through first few posts, he sees Dan loose his cool, sees Lar's logical-sounding
defense, and also learns that there is indeed a legitimate need for sellers of
custom sets to addressed at BL, *if* BL should so choose to accomodate that type
of seller. IMHO, should BL choose not to react and adjust rules (or whathaveyou)
for this type of seller (which I'd guess are increasing in number), it will
throw up a big definition of BL in the eyes of the AJ.

You said it yourself, Lar's name carries more weight in that post.
That known, if those two don't kiss and make up in front of everyone, soon, BL
has more to loose than Lar does. Lar will go somewhere else or encourage a new
service site. BL will have gotten negative PR, and informed the general public
that it's unwilling to adapt with the times.

Hence, IN THIS CASE:
BL needs Lar (to be seen accomodated) more than Lar needs BL (to accomodate him)

As I said it's my opinion, which typically I wouldn't voice.

I MUST go to an apptmnt now, but will read later tonight.

I hope the above helps. I'd have prefered not to come right out and say it. But
I agree that my words were poor, in fact I had just logged on to cancel my post.

-Suz