 Marketplace / Brick Shops / 1094
Re: Brickshops and Taxes???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.brickshops
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 21:18:19 GMT

Chris Phillips wrote:

I'm not sure if this is applicable, but in my tax software, I am prompted
for "hobby income" which can apparently be written off up to the level at
which you invested in said hobby.  So for example, if LEGO is your hobby and
you spent $1,000 on LEGO last year and made $1,200 selling extra bricks
during the same period, you would only be required to pay taxes on the extra
$200.  (I hope you saved your receipts!)

Of course, the laws for Tax in the UK are quite different.  I'm
certainly not an accoutant either, but I can comment on a few things.
If fact, a great many people in the UK don't even have to do their
tax return, but it's required if your tax is the slightest bit
complicated.  In this case, even if you declared it, you probably
wouldn't pay any tax.  The reason is that you're allowed up to 4500UKP
in self-employment per year before it's taxed.

As I said, I'm not an expert, and the conditions under which this apply
could well be quite complicated, so if anyone knows better, then feel
free to comment.