 Marketplace / Brick Shops / 1078
Re: Brickshops and Taxes???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.brickshops
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 02:31:08 GMT

I'm no tax expert, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I believe
Lego profits are taxable as capital gains if you don't treat your brickshop
as a business (and I called the IRS to confirm this when I had the exact
same question a few years ago, though with their track record...).  The
reasoning, as I understand it, is that Lego you acquire for personal (hobby)
use which is later sold for a profit is considered an investment by the
IRS--as is anything else you acquire for personal use and later sell.  Of
course, most stuff you acquire for personal use and sell later (e.g., at a
garage sale) is sold at a loss, which means you don't have to pay taxes on
the sale or declare it in any way.  But technically if you bought a shirt
for $5 and sold it for $10 at a garage sale after wearing it a few times
you'd owe capital gains tax on it, if I understand correctly!  I'm not sure
where the line is drawn between "business" and "items bought for personal
use and later sold at a profit"--that you'd have to ask an accountant about.

Alan

In lugnet.market.brickshops, Paul Sinasohn writes:
In lugnet.market.brickshops, Sun Yun writes:
So I've been working on my taxes to Uncle Sam at the last minute and I'm a
bit puzzled on what to do with Bricklink and Ebay profits.

How is everyone fililng these funds?  As what?  Under what category?

I am completely lost but I'd like to do this right.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

sun

Are you treating your Lego sales like a business? You would do that on
Schedule C, listing all your expenses and revenues.

Otherwise, it's non-taxable money, just as the profit from a garage sale
would be.

In other words, don't tell Uncle Sam.

Paul Sinasohn
Former CPA staff person