 Marketplace / Auctions / 9281
Re: Remember Chiles' Lego Auctions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 06:08:10 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Matthew J. Chiles writes:
Long ago, before there was ebay, before there was lugnet, before there was
really even the web, there was Chiles' Lego Auctions (known as Matt's Lego
Auctions back before there were many Matt's on RTL).  In those days auctions
were run by email, with updates sent out daily and bids advancing in a
traditional once/twice/sold manner (as opposed to established auction end
dates).

Anyone remeber those old auctions by email?

Is there any interest in an old style email update auction like this
today?  Does anyone still run them?  Would anyone still bid in one?

Or should I just start dumping things on the great altar of ebay?

Or should I try something bizarre like a reverse auction where I start the
bids at exorbanant prices and lower them until they sell?

As a past participant in some of your auctions and as a customer of
The VAULT I have always felt that the services you provide(d) were
important to me.  Being nostalgic, I miss those old manual auctions
and Auczilla).  But, like Richard I, too, have been online long enough
to have already purchased the majority of the older sets I had wanted
for years.  And I think there are some other people in this
same category.

To be blunt, those of us in that category no longer value the older
sets as much as we once did--especially if we have already obtained
them.  I guess that means that the great old Lego sets just do not
command big spending by us anymore.

But far outweighing that are the thousands of younger Lego fans who
have not yet reached that stage.  That is the group you would be wise
to cater to.  Exactly how I cannot say; they will have to speak for
themselves.

I do think that the days of manual email auctions are gone.  Ebay is
the venue of choice if you would like to move mountains of Lego in a
hurry with limited time and effort.  BrickLink may be the venue to
use if speed of sales is not an issue and a bit more effort is
something you would be comfortable with.

I have no way of knowing how popular or successful The Vault is
saleswise, but my recommendation would be to list more of your
items there with fixed prices. Determining the value of older used
Lego sets is difficult and very subjective but I would think that
starting on the high end of pricing would work with a plan to
gradually lower prices.

The supply of Lego appears to be far greater these days than the
demand; it is a buyer's market with Lego available all over the
place at different price points.  With so much Lego available online
now, there is almost no such thing as a rare Lego set anymore.

__Kevin Salm__
....Over 20 years experience playing with Lego toys....