 Marketplace / Auctions / 926
Re: which threads, ethics (was: Re: Mini Auction - 6273 - Rock Island Refuge)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 19:02:30 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, eric@reasoning.com (Eric McCarthy) writes:
Hello Lugnet auction participants:

As you might have noticed, I took the liberty of responding to
this Lugnet auction thread with an offer to sell at a lesser price.
(The thread was "Mini Auction - 6273 - Rock Island Refuge")
I knew this might annoy the auctioneer, but I didn't think
it was unethical or discourteous, just competitive.
What do you all think?

Although, strictly speaking, it is unnecessary to jump into the middle of
an auction thread in order to sell an item similar to what is being sold
on that thread, once could easily argue that doing so adds value to the
overall usefulness of the marketplace and to the readers following along.

Steve Scott wrote:
A.  If you want to sell something start your own thread.
B.  If you must butt-in on mine, at least have the courtesy to wait
until my auction has closed.

My current position is that there are multiple sellers and buyers
in Lugnet, that all threads are available to all,

This is correct.  There are no rules -- written or unwritten -- governing
the ownership of and/or the posting rights into the threads here.

and that
artificially keeping the price high for one seller by waiting
for the auction to finish is worse for the community than
is bringing out the set when the price exceeds my sell price.

Yup, this is simply the nature of competition and market price valuation.

Also, imagine later when, in the middle of some auction, the system itself
(server) notifies you the instant someone else puts up something identical
for sale at a lower price.  Pre-emptions like that will be everyday
occurrences.

--Todd

However, I am willing to change my opinion if there
is a consensus here that what I have done is unethical.

Thank you for your comments,
/Eric McCarthy/
bendyarm@aol.com