 Marketplace / Auctions / 858
857  |  859
Subject:
different types of auctions (was: Re: which threads, ethics ...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 22:15:52 GMT

Steve Scott wrote:

In fact, to take your technique to it's ultimate conclusion, here is the
scenario as I see it:

I am a buyer and am interested in purchasing a BSB say...
I post a message to the group thus:

Wanted - unopened BSB willing to pay $450
decrements in $25 units min

Current offer $300 + 3 firing cannons (seller 4)
Previous offer $300 (seller 3)
Previous offer $325 (seller 4)
Previous offer $350 (seller 3)
Previous offer $400 (seller 2)
Previous offer $450 (seller 1)

I'm sure you can see the point that I'm making - if the practice isn't
discouraged, then where does it stop?

I think this sort of a reverse auction is a great idea.
There has to be a large enough number of sellers at any
given time for it to work, though.  Eventually I think
there will be.

Even better, IMO, is where sellers could register sets
that they want to sell and the amounts they are willing
to sell them for, and then forget about them until the
demand reaches that point and they get an inquiry.

I would be surprised if Todd has not yet thought about these
possibilities as part of the potential of Lugnet.

Another thing, the charter of this group is:
Auction announcements, updates, listings, and analysis
Is this sort of discussion considered "analysis"?
If not, which lugnet group is it appropraite for?

/Eric McCarthy/