 Marketplace / Auctions / 8305
Re: Stupid LEGO E-Bay postings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 00:28:47 GMT

No, no,no

Lego is lego and anyone who professes to be ignorant as to what is and what
isn't Lego
has been living under a rock (brick?) is a liar.
BTW Have LEGO sets ever been advertised anywhere as megablock or what have
you?
Think on ...

RW

John Radtke <jaradtke@mindspring.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.market.auction, Matthew Gerber writes:
Hey all,

I was just browsing E-Bay looking for various and sundry LEGO things, and • an
old thought came swimming back up into my addled brain:

Do any of you ever contact E-Bay bidders to point out their stupidity in
posting non-LEGO products under the LEGO name? Boy howdy, did I ever want • to
tonight! In just a few pages I saw at least 10 mislabeled auctions (some
blatently)! So do you?

Matt

On the one hand, I hear you and can sympathize in the same way most • shopping
AFOL's probably would.  On the other, regardless of what we or TLG wants • the
word LEGO to mean, in common usage it is recognized as meaning 'any • plastic
interlocking toy brick.'  Just as Kleenex is commonly accepted to mean any
given facial tissue, or Band-Aid refers to any household adhesive bandage.
Do you have the same sensitivity to the misapplication of those brand • names?
I'm betting not.

The average person (and many people selling LEGO on ebay are exactly that,
average people) probably would not be very sympathetic to your frustration
or to an email pointing out, what from your somewhat unique and definately
not generally accepted point of view, is their stupidity.

Just had to play devil's advocate,
John