 Marketplace / Auctions / 8302
Re: Stupid LEGO E-Bay postings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 19:29:01 GMT

Actually, I have great respect for those, and other, brand names who have
had their uniqueness ground up and spit out by the tendency of language to
apply brand identity in general terms. You see, I'm in
advertising/publishing/design and am quite aware of what it takes to build
brand awareness and keep it strong. Also, I worked in the copy industry, and
know firsthand the grating words "Can you Xerox these pages for me?".

Now, I guess my real focus of that post should have been the blatenty
mis-labeled auctions. I mean, I know that the whole E-Bay thing (heck the
world in general, also) is buyer beware, but when the box in the picture
says "Crappy Plastic Building Toy", and the auction is labeled and described
as LEGO, it irks. Especially when you just know some poor kid is going to
receive that item as a gift-unreturnable, unfun, unable to tell grandpa that
he was snookered on the internet.

Now, I am going to blow my nose on a facial tissue, put an adhesive bandage
on my finger, drink a cola flavored soft drink, put some food in a locking
plastic storage bag and some self-sealing plastic storage containers, and
play with my interlocking plastic construction toys.

Matt

In lugnet.market.auction, John Radtke writes:
In lugnet.market.auction, Matthew Gerber writes:
Hey all,

I was just browsing E-Bay looking for various and sundry LEGO things, and an
old thought came swimming back up into my addled brain:

Do any of you ever contact E-Bay bidders to point out their stupidity in
posting non-LEGO products under the LEGO name? Boy howdy, did I ever want to
tonight! In just a few pages I saw at least 10 mislabeled auctions (some
blatently)! So do you?

Matt

On the one hand, I hear you and can sympathize in the same way most shopping
AFOL's probably would.  On the other, regardless of what we or TLG wants the
word LEGO to mean, in common usage it is recognized as meaning 'any plastic
interlocking toy brick.'  Just as Kleenex is commonly accepted to mean any
given facial tissue, or Band-Aid refers to any household adhesive bandage.
Do you have the same sensitivity to the misapplication of those brand names?
I'm betting not.

The average person (and many people selling LEGO on ebay are exactly that,
average people) probably would not be very sympathetic to your frustration
or to an email pointing out, what from your somewhat unique and definately
not generally accepted point of view, is their stupidity.

Just had to play devil's advocate,
John