 Marketplace / Auctions / 6899
Re: Did anyone else get this? - "Buy The Brick"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 13:31:02 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Scott Arthur writes:
I am just wondering where my e-mail was taken form?

Have you ever wondered what to pay for an old LEGO® complete set that is up
for auction? Your answer is in "Buy The Brick", the all new price guide for
complete LEGO® sets. This 24-page guide includes over 1800 different complete
LEGO® sets, spanning over 40 years, with pricing information.

  "Buy The Brick" includes listings by set number and by set theme. Either
way you collect you will be pleased with the information. It is designed for
people to have a reference when purchasing LEGO® complete sets in an auction
format and off the many internet web sites that offer LEGO® complete
sets. "Buy The Brick" also includes articles and other features for the LEGO®
enthusiast.

And so on

I just got this unsolicited piece of non-plastic AB.S.

The concept is interesting, but I would have preferred an announcement in
.buyselltrade or other Lugnet market groups.  Since my last eBay auctions, I
have begun receiving spam messages in a ratio of 3 to 1 (3spams for every
real message)  Thankfully, this message was not loaded with HTML or
attachments which have recently filled my e-mail box causing other messages
to bounce.
I do not remember selling or buying from the person who e-mailed me... I can
only conclude my e-mail was harvested from eBay or here -not pleased about
that.  I have seen his name on many eBay auctions and he seems to have a
good reputation.

The skeptic in me thinks, "hmmm, catalog reprints from S@H for only $15 a
year?, wow, what a steal."  The Enthusiast in me says "you can never have
too much info about the items I am buying or selling."

  The Realist in me questions the value of such a guide.  As we all know
values on Lego sets vary widely amongst auction forums and individuals.
Without a full knowledge of the individual and the means by which this info
is compliled, I would much rather stick with the "Boger index", anecdotes
from Frank Filz and my own experience.  We all have access to general
information through Lugnet and can easily check values on eBay (in most
cases)  I already have much of the information I need.

  What is the value of any Lego set?  ...Only what someone is willig to bid
in the last second of your auction.

A more interesting or possibly more damaging guide would be "how to
sell/auction Lego" via the internet...lol

                        John