 Marketplace / Auctions / 6542
Re: Somebody stole my eBay lot description...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 17:01:54 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Bianca Nebab writes:
John, someone did the same thing to my sister's description for a doll she
was selling, then THAT person was plagiarized by someone else.

<snip>

I had seena few threads about people "biting" or linking to pics, but I
never thought people were so lazy as to copy descriptions...

<snip>

they
altered the descriptions just enough so it wasn't word-for-word lifting, but
it is still plagiarism.  I've seen some people do hilarious things with
photos, if the plagiarist is dumb enough to link back to the original site
but descriptions are tough.

I have recently seen some hilarious link pictures that were inserted by
people who discovered "hot links" to their pics too...lol...great stuff.
Agreed, descriptions can be more subjective...

  There's a small discussion going on about this
now on the eBay chat boards regarding a plagiarized book review in an item
description.  There's also eBay's copyright policy, with a means of having
the plagiarist's auction ended:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/png-copyrights.html

Thanks for this info...food for thought...

However, since his/her auction ends in less than 2 days, I'm not sure if
this would help you or not.  Right now, I'm not sure there's anything you
can do about it short of taking it up with the plagiarist, so at least s/he
(perhaps) won't do it again, or at least won't plagiarize *your*
descriptions, because now s/he'll know you'll be watching.

I contacted the seller...no response.  His auction closed substantially
higher than his competitors though...I was out of town when the auction
ended, so I couldn't raise a stink w/ eBay.

Unfortunately,
I'm sure this is common practice on eBay, since plagiarists are lazy people
and can see (as your bidders can) that you've put real work into your
descriptions which he or she can then profit from with the least amount of
effort.  I've seen your auctions on eBay and always have gotten a kick out
of your colorful descriptions, and yes, I do think putting some care in your
descriptions helps instill confidence in your bidders and therefore helps
your auction end high.  For this reason alone, eBay should be interested,
but I also realize this goes beyond economics.  For what it's worth, I agree
with you, you have a legitimate reason to be upset.  If I were in your
shoes, I might email a link of the copyright page to the plagiarist, just so
s/he knows I noticed.
binky

I did e-mail this page after a polite message... I fear that this "copying"
must be rampant on eBay with so many auctions everyday...this situation is
just one of those "touchy" things with me...In college I had a few
experiences in class and student government where people lfted my
legislative proposals or copied a term paer outright and achieved a greate
degree of success than I had experienced (sour grapes on my part, possibly)

I enjoy writing my descriptions and hence put some thought into them when I
am auctioning.  Many of my bidders have gotten a laugh or been utterly
satisfied w/ the products because the description answered all their
questions.  I am glad you enjoyed them.  Wait til you see some of the new
ones (for future reference, a couple guiness can liberate you from writer's
block = )

Thanks for your support and for sharing your perspective...

                    John