 Marketplace / Theory / 1510
Re: Somebody stole my eBay lot description...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 14:36:20 GMT

I have had that happen to me before.  I even did it to another person,
although they just got their text from a catalog, so it wasn't really an
original description.  (They also had a etoys logo on their set picture, so
I could surmise that they had no way to tell me not to do what they were
doing).  I was steamed the first time somebody took one of my pictures and
also for taking descriptions/HTML code, but if you just put it up there and
tell yourself it will happen, you will sleep better.

True, it shouldn't happen, but you are not going to stop it, so the sooner
you accept it, the easier it will be to deal with.  It used to be that
plagerizing took some work.  You had to type in what you copied.  Now, it is
just select, copy and paste.  With it being that easy it will happen.

The only thing that steams me now is when somebody links to my picture,
rather than copying it.

Mike

John Robert-Blaze Kanehl <johnNYblaze44@webtv.net> wrote in message
I suppose I should be flattered...

I auctioned off a 7140 X-wing that a deadbeat bidder
didn't pay for last week...

I see now that eBay seller "ruworthit"

eBay lot: 414295875

copied most of my lot description word for word.  He
edited out a few sentences and shipping info, but his
entire description is exact, right down to sentence
structure and wording...

I realize he didn't scam my picture, but I am still a
little steamed.  I realize that 2 people describing the
same item can have similar descriptions to cover
pertinent details, but this is a rip off...

I consider my descriptions to be prorietary, rightly so
or not.  I view this person much the same as another
student copying my term paper and getting a good
grade...

What a lazy bum...He didn't put any thought in it at
all...he just cut and pasted my description from my last
eBay auction and posted it...

I realize I have to compete in the market, but do I have
to compete against myself?

I was going to post another x-wing Saturday wi the same
description...Now I'm going to look like the one who
stole his words...errrr

What can I do?  What should I do if anything?

                      John
     (heading off to my job interview, a little steamed)