 Marketplace / Theory / 1509
Re: Somebody stole my eBay lot description...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 13:26:32 GMT

John, someone did the same thing to my sister's description for a doll she
was selling, then THAT person was plagiarized by someone else.  This was a
"trendy" item so all 3 descriptions came out in a span of about a month.
With my sister's doll, her plagiarists did something similar to yours, they
altered the descriptions just enough so it wasn't word-for-word lifting, but
it is still plagiarism.  I've seen some people do hilarious things with
photos, if the plagiarist is dumb enough to link back to the original site
but descriptions are tough.  There's a small discussion going on about this
now on the eBay chat boards regarding a plagiarized book review in an item
description.  There's also eBay's copyright policy, with a means of having
the plagiarist's auction ended:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/png-copyrights.html
However, since his/her auction ends in less than 2 days, I'm not sure if
this would help you or not.  Right now, I'm not sure there's anything you
can do about it short of taking it up with the plagiarist, so at least s/he
(perhaps) won't do it again, or at least won't plagiarize *your*
descriptions, because now s/he'll know you'll be watching.  Unfortunately,
I'm sure this is common practice on eBay, since plagiarists are lazy people
and can see (as your bidders can) that you've put real work into your
descriptions which he or she can then profit from with the least amount of
effort.  I've seen your auctions on eBay and always have gotten a kick out
of your colorful descriptions, and yes, I do think putting some care in your
descriptions helps instill confidence in your bidders and therefore helps
your auction end high.  For this reason alone, eBay should be interested,
but I also realize this goes beyond economics.  For what it's worth, I agree
with you, you have a legitimate reason to be upset.  If I were in your
shoes, I might email a link of the copyright page to the plagiarist, just so
s/he knows I noticed.
binky

"John Robert-Blaze Kanehl" <johnNYblaze44@webtv.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.market.theory, John Robert-Blaze Kanehl writes:
I suppose I should be flattered...

I auctioned off a 7140 X-wing that a deadbeat bidder
didn't pay for last week...

I see now that eBay seller "ruworthit"

eBay lot: 414295875

copied most of my lot description word for word.  He
edited out a few sentences and shipping info, but his
entire description is exact, right down to sentence
structure and wording...

I realize he didn't scam my picture, but I am still a
little steamed.  I realize that 2 people describing the
same item can have similar descriptions to cover
pertinent details, but this is a rip off...

I consider my descriptions to be prorietary, rightly so
or not.  I view this person much the same as another
student copying my term paper and getting a good
grade...

What a lazy bum...He didn't put any thought in it at
all...he just cut and pasted my description from my last
eBay auction and posted it...

I realize I have to compete in the market, but do I have
to compete against myself?

I was going to post another x-wing Saturday wi the same
description...Now I'm going to look like the one who
stole his words...errrr

What can I do?  What should I do if anything?

                     John
    (heading off to my job interview, a little steamed)

Job interview is now pushed back 2 hours due to a late flight...great = (

I just did a little research and this guys auction was actually running at
the same time as mine...essentially, he grabbed my description and started
his auctionn with my description WHILE MY AUCTION WAS RUNNING...

MY closed 7140 auction is eBay: 406122397
(notice the start and close dates in my lot and his)

This may be a trivial point to some of you, but this annoys me (it's also
how I pay my bills currently)

My auction closed well, but I wonder if it would always happent that way.
What if someone started grabbing my descriptions and "beating me" with my
own words?

I realize I am not offering a unique item in this case, but  find the lack
of "honesty/ethics" disturbing.

To extend my earlier analogy, what happens when someone steals my term • paper
(intellectual property) and gets the same grade with little effort?

                     John