 Marketplace / Auctions / 4649
4648  |  4650
Subject:
Finding LEGO on eBay the easy way (Was Re: FA (Ebay) Old Space Sets)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 20:23:14 GMT

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 18:07:42 GMT, "Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:

In lugnet.market.auction, Thomas Main writes:
Hmm, doesn't eBay have a notification service for people who want to find
out about LEGO auctions?

Am I correct in reading this as disapproval of posting links to eBay
auctions in the lugnet.marketplace.auction group?  Since I have switched
to pretty much only auctioning through eBay...I would like to know how
Todd feels about this.

No, it's not disapproval, it's a mixture of confusion, dismay, and surprise.
Why doesn't eBay make it _easy_ for people to find or follow auctions of a
particular type?  The fact that people [have to] resort to re-listing things
elsewhere is bemusing.

--Todd

Actually, it IS easy to find or follow LEGO (or any other) auctions.

1) There is a LEGO category:

   Top : Toys, Bean Bag Plush : Modern : Lego
   http://listings.ebay.com/aw/listings/list/category1186/index.html

2) You can search for "lego*":

http://search.ebay.com/cgi-bin/texis/ebay/results.html?maxRecordsPerPage=200&ht=1&query=lego*&minPrice=&maxPrice=&ebaytag1=ebayctry&ebaytag1code=0&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&SortOrder=%5Ba%5D

3) You can search by ANDing keywords:

   In search box: lego* ice planet
   Will find lego and ice and planet (but not just ice or just planet)

4) You can search by ORing keywords:

   In search box: lego* (door, doors, window, windows)
   Will find lego and (door or doors or window or windows).
   I use a variety of these strings to find doors and windows, slopes, rare
   colors, a small selection of certain set numbers, etc.

5) Use Personal Shopper to set up to 3 strings to be searched and mailed to
   you on a regular basis:

   http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?PersonalShopperViewSearches

   On any eBay page, hit SEARCH in the title bar and then Personal Shopper
   in the breakout bar blow that.  If you ever need to find anything on eBay,
   try their site map:

   http://pages.ebay.com/sitemap.html

I find it very time consuming to actually watch the LEGO listings as a whole
anymore now that a search on lego* comes back with over 2000 hits.  I use a
number of targeted search strings that I have bookmarked.  I also use personal
shopper for my 3 most important searches just in case I miss checking often
enough.  This method does cause me to miss something on occasion, but is MUCH
less time consuming.

Rob

|  Rob Farver - rfarver@rcn.com             |
http://www.farver.com/lego/              |