 Marketplace / Auctions / 4047
Re: BRICKS going offline soon, probably for good
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 16:48:25 GMT

On Sun, 23 Jan 2000 11:05:33 GMT, Mark Harrison <harro1@one.net.au>
wrote:

Well I'll miss it Mike, being one of the regular buyers from Julie and
Dwayne

I got this via e-mail and already responded privately.  I'll reiterate
an important point here in public, though.

The EveryAuction script that I use on BRICKS is now and has always
been free and fairly well supported via user forums at:

http://www.everysoft.com/

BRICKS was hardly more than a sad hack job on my part to get it up and
running and tack on a few add-ins to make it more usable.  On a scale
of 1 to 10 for Perl foo I'm about a 0.5, so I _know_ several people
here could do a much better job than I did.

Another thing to note is that Hypermart.net has free webhosting
services that allow the use of Perl scripts.  I even had a test
version of BRICKS running there once when I wasn't certain that I
could keep paying for a webhosting account to run a free auction site.
I know many people from the EveryAuction forums have posted helpful
tips for getting the script to run at Hypermart, so all it would take
for someone to put up something just as free and probably 10x better
than BRICKS is a little time and Perl know-how, since the script and
the webhosting would be free.

If anyone wants to do this I'd be willing to send them my hacked-up
version of auction.cgi so they could have it as a reference as they
get their's up and going.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?