 Marketplace / Auctions / 3948
Re: Monorail: 6399 @$150 (Most Going 2)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 19:03:50 GMT

Eric McCarthy wrote:

It is sad what has been happening to the Auction situation,
unless you are a big Ebay fan.

I agree, and I'm part of the problem, too, I guess. Right now I am
mostly in sell mode and I get way better money for stuff on eBay than
anywhere else. I wish it weren't the case but it is.

I hate eBay.

I feel I gave SC a good shot, and as a buyer, it had some good deals,
which is great if you're a buyer, but kinda stinks if you're the seller.
eBay has critical mass and as long as most buyers go there, that's where
most sellers will too.

What I hope (and what eBay fights against, of course) is that software
will be developed and licensed for use that hides the complexity of
searching multiple venues from buyers. If that comes to pass, eBay won't
be in the dominant position any more. I'd say they have a natural
monopoly, except that there is no such thing. :-) They just got there
first and until technology changes, they will be dominant. It WILL
change, you can be sure.

However, all is not lost for other sites. See auctionwatch for some
great sites that seem to have found niches. That's a great site overall
for more than just auction reviews. Their series on how to be a good
auction seller is awesome. Mostly stuff I knew already, of course, but
still good. :-)

http://www.auctionwatch.com/
or
http://www.auctionwatch.com/awdaily/tipsandtactics/index.html

There's Ebay, AucZilla, and MA.  Mostly the independent auctions
are getting relatively bad results as are the Serious Collector
and bricks@guarded-inn.

I posted a 8k piece parts auction last week and got *NO* bids.
http://www.lugnet.com/market/auction/?n=3804
You might say this is due to clearance sales, Lego direct, or
whatnot, but the fact is that items in AucZilla were still getting
bids of up to ten times my starting bids when I made the
announcement.

I hear you, I wish I'd had the time to pore over the listings. But I
have too much other stuff to do, I have massive digesting of stuff I
just got to carry out, my parts wanted list is producing good responses,
and I didn't bid in AucZILLA XI at all (at least not so far)...

Bill Katz wrote:

OK, Most lots are now going 2, at bargain prices.  This is starting to
make ebay look like a good place to sell:(
These sets will be sold tomorrow if no further bids come in. • ...
I can't believe it, I just looked up 6347s on ebay, and they've sold
for over $100!

Well I did NOT let those bargain airport shuttles go, I bid them up a
bit. Apologies to the other buyers, but I can take an infinite number of
used airport shuttles under my wing at 150 apiece, you are just going to
have to pay more than that to get them away from me.

They're still bargains, though at their current prices, IMHO, they're
just above my hysteresis point.