 Marketplace / Auctions / 355
Re: Lego(R) Brick Auction Announcement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 03:07:55 GMT

Robert Fries <rpfries@interaccess.com> wrote:
Well, here's my $0.02 about the Yahoo auction ...

* It was *very* time consuming putting the items up there.  As you can see by
the "Auction Start" times, it took over an hour to get approx. 35 items up
there.

* The feature to upload your pictures to their server is nice, but when you
have as many pictures as I did, it again was time consuming.  I would have
liked to see a wildcard feature, so I could have done *.jpg and been done with
it.

Yeah, it could definitely use some improvement with respect to
convenience (or lack thereof) for sellers wanting to list multiple
items.  Maybe it will improve with time.

* I haven't found a way to change the bid increment ... this is fine for what
I'm auctioning, but if I was putting up a $30 set, it would probably make more
sense to increment in $1 steps than the $0.10 that it defaults to.

That drove me nuts too, and I *know* you can change it because I saw
that someone else had $1 increments but I was stuck with $0.10.

The reason that I chose Yahoo is twofold:

1. I have been writing my own auction system as a "spare-time priject."  The
problem is that around Christmas, there is not a lot of spare time.

If you need some help testing, lemme know.  The new account I just
setup for my website and domain doesn't include full access to custom
cgi stuff, but if I like how things go for the next couple months I
will probably upgrade to one that does.  I know of at least two free
perl script auction engines, one that is entirely web-based, so I will
probably play with them a little when the time comes.

2. It was completely free ... if I don't sell anything, I don't owe anyone any
$ for it.

Yep, always a plus.

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/  (discontinued thru Holiday season)
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 ext 222 (S@H Canada)