 Marketplace / Appraisal / 710
Re: Appraisal of Old Style Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.appraisal
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 06:27:21 GMT

In lugnet.market.appraisal, Rachel Smith wrote:
Thanks Gary,

I also have 1x4, 1x6, and 1x8, without cylinders.  The colour of the plastic is
slightly different too.  Perhaps the men go with the lego and it's all 1978?
It's in excellent used condition, not even scratched.  but I don't have any
boxes or instructions.
I'll take some photos and see if anyone wants it.
That's if it's worth anything.

Thanks for the info
Rachel :)

Rachel,  Do they all say "LEGO" on the studs?  Most of the 1949-56 Lego does
not, 1957-present does.  The 1x6 and 1x8 beams without posts (as they are known
versus the tubes on the 2x bricks) were made that way until 1964 (until 1970 in
some areas, such as USA).  I have never seen a 1x4 brick without posts though
(they came out in 1965).  I would be surprised, but not shocked, at their
existence.

The difference in the color of Lego was because from 1949-62 they were made of a
different plastic known as Cellulose Acetate.  This was changed in 1963 to ABS
plastic (still in use today).  Cellulose Acetate was an unstable plastic, and
most CA pieces today have a slight warp to them (do they wobble when put on a
flat smooth surface?).  Yellow CA bricks were produced in the USA until 1970,
they must have had a big supply of yellow CA pellets.

CA bricks are easiest to spot in the following colors:  red (looks like a
red-orange), yellow (looks like a much brighter yellow), and blue (a much
brighter blue).  On white, clear, black and gray elements, it is often difficult
to tell CA from ABS plastic.

Those old bricks in good condition are worth something to a select few
collectors who (like myself) have some old, but empty Lego spare parts or basic
set boxes, and are on the lookout for original replacement parts.  But because
of the CA warping and color variation, they are pretty useless for regular
building.

Gary Istok

A Lego Addict since 1960.