 Marketplace / Appraisal / 708
Re: Appraisal of Old Style Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.appraisal
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 05:31:39 GMT

In lugnet.market.appraisal, Rachel Smith wrote:
Thanks for telling me about bricklink, I'll have a look around there.

I think that I may not have phrased my question clearly.
I have some of the very first lego ever made.  It is not regular lego.  The
bricks don't have cylinders underneath.
And the men's arms are part of the body mould.
It all has the Lego symbol on it and I think it was made before they patented
it.
Not really sure how old it is, from my reading 1950 -1970?

I'm hoping that someone in this forum will know if this lego is worth anything?
It's probably more of a collectors item because this old design doesn't hold
together as well.

Can anyone help me?

OK,

Here's a few helpful tips.

If 2x2, 2x3, 2x4 pieces have NO tubes underneath, and they have slots on 2 of
the sides of the bricks, they are from 1949-56.

If 2x2, 2x3, 2x4 pieces have NO tubes underneath, and they have NO slots on the
sides of the bricks, they are from 1957.

If these pieces are of one of these 2 types, and if they are in shiny new
condition or excellent used condition, they have more value to collectors, than
bricks from 1958-present.  And these 2 types of bricks were only ever produced
for the continental European market.

Tubes underneath the bricks came out in 1958.

Minifig "stiffs" as they are called (no separate arms or legs, just an upper
torso, and a lower torso) are from 1974-78.

So it looks like you may have a broad range of years in those Lego elements.

Gary Istok

A Lego Addict since 1960