 Marketplace / Appraisal / 706
Re: Appraisal of Old Style Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.appraisal
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 2004 21:56:14 GMT

In lugnet.market.appraisal, Rachel Smith wrote:
I recently purchased a heap of assorted lego at a garage sale...
There is quite a lot of the old style lego, the stuff without the cylinders,
in various colours.
There are some old style men too, the ones where the arms are part of the body
mould.
And it is in top condition.  (It has the lego symbol on top - but no pat.
pending)

Does anyone have any idea if this lego is worth anything to collectors?

Kinda depends on what specifically you've got-- some stuff like basic brick
isn't terribly valuable, but other things are very valuable. Also depends on how
much you've got.

If you're buying a general "lot", new Lego typically goes for $0.10 apiece, and
old Lego (generic parts) will often go for about $0.01 apiece. You can often get
a rough idea of how many pieces you've got by weighing it-- it's generally
between 400-500 pieces per pound.

If you have any complete sets, these may be worth more money, but obviously it
depends on how complete it is, whether it's got instructions, and how good the
condition is.

The most value you can get out of them, however, is obviously the most work.
Selling items piece-by-piece on places like http://www.bricklink.com/ can get
you lots more money than if you sell the lot at once, but it takes a lot of time
and effort.

If you can post pictures or more information (on Lugnet or even at BrickLink),
I'm sure people can tell you a bit more precisely how much to expect. Assuming
you've got a regular yard sale lot, I would expect that you've got somewhere in
the $25-$100 range, but obviously getting something rare could bolster that
number ridiculously.

DaveE