 Marketplace / Appraisal / 354
Re: Monitoring auctions for street value?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.appraisal
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 21:11:14 GMT

"Jennifer L. Boger" wrote:

the other thing we ran into was that it was a lot of overhead, finding out if
the set was *really* complete, and making sure the auction was for *one* set
only, and that it was the correct set.  also, we weren't sure if we could even
mine that data... i mean, without notifying the uh... auction site.

Yeah, the mining issue is definitely a touchy one.  If it were being
done
for profit I suppose that the corporations would definitely take
exception.
I had considered archiving the complete auction page, but decided
against it
since it would definitely violate copyright laws.  However, gathering
set names
and prices should fall within fair use (of course, that's probably what
that
place that searches all auction sites for listings thought too).

Initially I was just planning on storing info about sets matching
certain
phrases, ie. MISB, MISP, "sealed," etc.  If LUGNET folks selling on Ebay
started following a standardized auction title (actually, I suppose most
already
do) it would make things infinitely easier...

But I agree -- the logic to determine how complete a set is, what
condition
pieces are in, etc. is almost impossible to program with 100%
certainty.  :(

So...  Is it a dead project then?  Should I continue with mine, or drop
it
in anticipation of yours?

Chris