 Marketplace / Appraisal / 336
Re: Price for bulk secondhald Lego?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.appraisal
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 01:08:25 GMT

In lugnet.market.appraisal, Keith Twombley writes:
I had a great idea to get bulk Lego cheap, and I would like your
input:

I want to put flyers up at my local college advertising that I buy
Lego for some price per pound, hoping that incoming students will see
this as an opportunity to get easy money by unloading their unused
toys.

Good idea, although I would expand to high schools also.  If you wait till
kids are in college, parents might sell everything at a garage sale or save
it for the grandkids.  I used to focus my garage sale hunting in areas close
to high schools to improve my chances of finding the odd lot of LEGO pieces.
Even so my success rate was only in the 2%-5% range.  I then posted a sign
at the local soccer arena and had a number of calls before my sign was taken
down.  Unfortunately most of those calls were for DUPLO bricks.

Since I won't necessarily be buying complete sets, I don't know what
price to offer so that I get the bricks cheap, but good enough that
peopl estill answer the ad ;)

Do you have any ideas how much money (US$) a pound of bricks is worth?

The current Brickshelf market report lists the current price per pound as
$6.25 and the price per piece in set auctions as $0.243.  A rough guestimate
is that there will be around 250-333 pieces per pound (3-4 pounds per
thousand pieces)

Or, should I come up with a different method of setting the value of
random bricks?

I would simply advertise that you are a LEGO builder and that you're looking
for pieces or sets.  Leave it up to the individual situation to make an
offer, or better yet, let them make the first offer.  In the majority of
cases I find that people who are selling LEGO in this type of situation will
give you a fair deal.  You can always offer more or less depending on what
it is worth to you.

Thanks for the help!

You're most welcome.  Please do share your results.

Post well,

Andreas Stabno
http://www.megsinet.net/~stabno/SimiLego.htm