 Marketplace / Appraisal / 311
Re: Question on the value of Monorail Parts and 6347
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.appraisal
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 22:00:55 GMT

Steve Chapple and I have had a rather spirited e-mail discussion about the
value of monorail straights, curves and stanchions (the black risers). Steve
values the straights at $10, the curves at $5, and the stanchions at $1.50
(he is valuing as a seller). I value the straights at $5, the curves at $3,
and the stanchions at $1.50 (I am valuing as a buyer). I value the turnout
(switch), complete with half curve, at $7. But, you can only use so many
switches in a monorail layout (which has limited my interest in 6347s.) My
valuations are based on carefully watching eBay and picking up sets 6990,
6991 and 6921 at the best possible prices. Steve's are based on direct sales
of 6921s he has made. (I am not soliciting for Steve. As far as I know, he
does not wish to sell any 6921s.)

If you sell the lot on eBay, you'll probably get a bit more back than your
$28 investment.

Cary

"Craig Livingston" <Craig_R_Livingston@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Recently, in a Bigs Lots, I found two beat-up 6347s. The boxes were • deplorable
and open, but the bags were sealed. Despite the condition, I bought them • at
the $14 asking price. Considering the nearly ~$50 price (setZilla) for one
6347, I was quite proud of my find. However, when I got them home and • closely
examined them, I noticed that they both missing the tray with the 2 switch
track pieces. Of the four, only 1 switch track was there. Other than that,
they are complete. My first thought was "Crap!"

My question is this:

Is the incomplete 6347 more valuable than the sum of the parts? Also, what • is
the approximate market value of the rarer parts in the box (ie. the • curved,
straight, and switch monorail tracks, and the black risers)?

I don't collect monorails. Hopefully, with this information, I can make an
informed sell to someone who would want these.

Thanks

- Craig Livingston