 Local / United States / Virginia / Newport News / 25
Re: Cost per piece?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.va.new, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 04:02:15 GMT

J-Men HQ wrote in message ...
Heya one and all... Newport News resident and first time poster here.

A couple of weeks ago, Frank Filz mentioned something about a set and said
it "makes the 10 cents a piece". What does that mean? What is considered a
good price for  a set? Based upon number of pieces in a box? How do you
decide when one piece might be a 6x12 plate, and another piece might be a
1x1 plate? Big difference in value, but each considered a "piece". What
methods do you folks use to judge a sets value? (Besides the obvious "I • must
have a Snowspeeder!")

Of course there is no "perfect" way, but the better sets seem to cost about
10 cents a piece or less, using the piece count on the box. Of course, this
doesn't take into account the relative value of pieces, though a larger
piece isn't necessarily more valuable (though certainly plates and basic
bricks are pretty much more valuable the bigger they are, but a collection
of bricks which would make the same volume as the Big Ugly Rock Piece (BURP)
would be more valuable than the BURP (though the BURP is probably worth more
than 10 cents).

The newer "juniorized" sets seem to be running 20 cents a piece. Freestyle
sets usually run less than 5 cents a piece, and brick buckets run less than
2 cents a piece. Because of this, I have bought a bunch of Freestyle sets
when the special pieces are mostly usefull to me (though Freestyle sets and
brick buckets tend to have a higher proportion of 1x1 bricks than general
sets). Note that Freestyle now seems to be called "Classic".

Other factors I use: with the various mini-fig sets, it seems that about a
buck a mini-fig is reasonable.

Trains and Technic have some very special pieces which really bump up the
value (I don't feel gyped by the price of any of the recent Train sets for
example).

All of the above goes out the window for out of production sets. I
personally place a premium on Pirate and Castle sets. Others have different
priorities. I have bid something close to 10 cents a part in several
auctions even though I may not be that interested in the set, because I know
I can find good pieces. I usually get outbid, but feel that at least I have
made the item go for a minimally fair price from my perspective. I also won
a technic set for a low price - neat, I'll build it and then probably mix
the parts into my collection.

I rarely buy a recent set for much over 10 cents a piece unless I am really
interested in it (ok, so I bought all the Rock Raiders sets, I was curious
about their components - my feelings after the fact, unless you like the
theme, wait for sales on these, except for the two small sets, which are
priced reasonably). I'm waiting for the big Amazon set to go on sale (I sort
of like it, but I'm not going to drop that kind of premium on a set which
doesn't look that exciting - I do hope a smaller more reasonably priced set
comes out though with the printed large wall piece, I'd like to make a much
better looking temple pyramid for my Pirates to stumble o,also,