 Local / United States / Texas / Houston / 43
Re: Hello...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.tx.hou
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 15:15:19 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.tx.hou, Brent Flannery writes:

Either of y'all know of any good deals on lego stuff in town?  I started
collecting legos this month and I'm sticking with technic ones.  I have
about 70 sets already.  I found some of the cyber slam ones around town for
cheap, but those seem cheap everywhere.

My experience has been that K-Mart and KB-Toys are best for finding cheap and/or
old Lego.  Regarding, Technic, virtually the only sets that seem to be shelved
these days are the Robo Riders, or, as you said, the perenially discounted Cyper
slam.  Unfortunately, the "classic" Technic (as I call it) - the ones that
actually have studs and plates - are desperately rare.  Sure, i believe that a
Silver Champion or two is still to be found at TRU, but I've never seen a
discount on that one.  IMO, the best way to get classic Technic these days is by
cannabalizing other system sets - such as the UCS X-Wing, for example, which has
a nifty gear arrangement, or, for an old no-frills steering arrangement, the
Model Team Dragster has been available at most KB's for $30 since the dawn of
western civilization.  IMO, the scenery is pretty bleak for Technic fans these
days.  You might be better off calling S@H to see if they have any old sets in
stock.

james