 Local / United States / Texas / Houston / 35
Re: Clearance price-matching (was Re: Last round of Target markdowns?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.tx.hou
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 22:35:23 GMT

Susan Hoover writes:
Doug Finney wrote:
'Twasn't me. I didn't even know they had any. Seen any Mindstorm
stuff discounted around here? I ran by the Target out I-10 East at
lunch today (more on that below) and it was all still full price.
What's up with that?

I got a DDK for $25 in Baytown on Tuesday.  It was the only one they
had.  That's the only Mindstorms stuff I've seen on clearance.

Wonder if they'll be around again next year. I want one but don't want
to pay much for it. (what else is new :-)

I've made some good scores in Baytown in the past but haven't driven
out that far in ages. Got some good stuff, I take it?

It's really only 30 minutes from downtown.  It just seems like it's way
out there.

I used to go at lunch when I worked at UH and could take 1.5 hour lunches.
I've been incredibly busy this year. Jan/Feb has typically been my slow
time, which is great for clearance Lego shopping, but this year I haven't
even stopped at every store I drive past, let alone going out of my way
to hunt.

Yeah, I got my Mos Espas at $54 at the Astrodome Target, because I
didn't figure there would be any left if I waited until lower clearance
prices hit.  I think I bought just about one of everything I wanted at
40% off, then bought more of the things I really wanted and could find
at %75 off.

I didn't make it down there until the 40% off had been in affect for a
few days and it was already completely wiped out, IIRC.

I dunno.  My most fun shopping excursions were that coming-out-of-the-
dark-ages summer of 1995, when six KMarts closed down in the area.
KMart apparently ships all of the ancient stuff in their warehouses to
the stores that are closing down, so it can be included in the
clearance.  Woo-hoo, that's how I got my BT and M:T sets.

No doubt, that was awesome. I bought at least 3 overflowing carts
worth just at the one on Long Point. There was Lego all over that
store. I've got some better individual deals since then but nothing
so overwhelmingly massive. :-)

Doug