 Local / United States / Texas / Houston / 34
Re: Clearance price-matching (was Re: Last round of Target markdowns?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.tx.hou
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 22:07:38 GMT

Doug Finney wrote:

In lugnet.market.shopping, Susan Hoover writes:

'Fess up, Doug.  Did you take all 10 of the 4561's that were at $78
for weeks and weeks and weeks at the Galleria Target, the morning
they went to $32.44?

'Twasn't me. I didn't even know they had any. Seen any Mindstorm
stuff discounted around here? I ran by the Target out I-10 East at
lunch today (more on that below) and it was all still full price.
What's up with that?

I got a DDK for $25 in Baytown on Tuesday.  It was the only one they
had.  That's the only Mindstorms stuff I've seen on clearance.

BTW, Don't bother going to the Target in Baytown.  I obliged the
inventory crew by helping them clear all the old sets out.  ;-)

I've made some good scores in Baytown in the past but haven't driven
out that far in ages. Got some good stuff, I take it?

It's really only 30 minutes from downtown.  It just seems like it's way
out there.

1x 9748 DDK @ $25
2x 5988 Pharoah's Forbidden Ruins @ $19.xx
2x 4561 Railway Express @ $32.44

FYI, the Baytown TRU had loads of 1996-7 Aquazone stuff, and even a
1995 AquaRaiders set.  All at full retail, of course.  I picked up 2x
5542 Black Thunder at full prices, just because I didn't have any yet,
as well as the 7131 Anakin's Podracer, just to be complete.

There is currently a Mos Espa Podrace set at the aforementioned
Target. I'd bought it for $54 a couple weeks ago but later found
another for $23, followed by a couple more at Walmart for $10 (heh
heh).

Yeah, I got my Mos Espas at $54 at the Astrodome Target, because I
didn't figure there would be any left if I waited until lower clearance
prices hit.  I think I bought just about one of everything I wanted at
40% off, then bought more of the things I really wanted and could find
at %75 off.

And did you know that location is closing? As of tomorrow at 2
p.m.

Yes, I went to that Target (I-10 @ Federal Rd.) last week, but only
scored a little bit:

1x 5988 PFR @ $19.xx
1x 9732 Extreme Creatures @ 14.xx
and three smaller sets each < $5.

Everything else, including about 3 RIS, was still full price, even
though the store is closing down.  BTW, I asked the cashier why the
store was closing, and she said "Too much theft."  This was after I
noticed that my basket barely fit through the rails at the checkout.
It made me glad that I had locked my backpack in the trunk of my car in
that dark parking lot.

Can anyone confirm that Target does not typically have
clearance sales when shutting down a store? Twice in the past I've
tried to go to a Target only to discover it had mysteriously shut
down since the last time I was there. The one on I-10 is about half
empty now but nothing is on sale except the usual clearance stuff. I
guess they ship it all to other stores? Where's the fun in that?

I dunno.  My most fun shopping excursions were that coming-out-of-the-
dark-ages summer of 1995, when six KMarts closed down in the area.
KMart apparently ships all of the ancient stuff in their warehouses to
the stores that are closing down, so it can be included in the
clearance.  Woo-hoo, that's how I got my BT and M:T sets.

I have found that the Targets in the area vary wildly as to what they
have on clearance and at what level.  I visited several within the same
week (post-Wednesday), and some of them had nothing on clearance, while
others were at 40% and still others had finished clearing.  I have not
visited Wal-Mart.

--
Susan Hoover
Houston, TX