 Local / United States / Texas / 11
Re: No 2000 stuff yet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.tx
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 23:40:26 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.tx, Patrick Justison writes:
I grew up in Oakland, were you there on business or for fun?

This may be the wrong week to ask me this...

...the other day some kids were getting their jollies breaking out my windows
with stones as large as an adult's fist, when I went downstairs to capture the
culprits (being home at the time), a near riot ensued between myself and about
20 or so young black kids (ranging in age from early teens to early 20s) who
surrounded me and helped the kids get away.  Anyway, the long and short of it
that while one person was unintentionally distracting me with completely empty
arguments as to why I cannot detain two kids to get their names, phone
numbers, and addreses; some other kid (around 10 years old or so) comes up on
the scene on a bike -- jumps off, runs up to me, and punches me in the jaw.
Nice. huh?  Maybe I should I mention that as a latino, I was probably
perceived as white, and its my current annoyance that it was a racially
motivated act.  End result: Richard 0, Local kids 10 broken windows, one 35
year old caucasian punched in the face.

Six hours later when the police arrived to take the report, they told me that
THEY were afraid of the kids on my block.  That the police had been surrounded
before and their presence nullified.  That I acted like a fool and could have
been killed.  That the last time someone did what I did, they were promptly
hit over the head with a pipe and went right to the hospital.

So, business or pleasure?  Worse.  I live there...

...right by the bay bridge where the victorian flats are large, rent is
affordable, and the neighborhood is REALLY sketchy.

Glad you asked me, right? Where did you grow up Patrick?

=)

-- Richard (victim of the tensions created by bay area gentrification)