 Local / United States / Oregon / Portland / 91
Re: Portland and San Francisco in April
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.or.por, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 02:29:53 GMT

"Todd Lehman" <tsl@tsl.bu.edu> writes:
I'm planning to be in San Francisco the week of April 21-25 and am wondering
if I can squeeze in a visit to the PNLTC show in Portland on April 17-19.

According to the Greyhound website, I can get a bus from Portland to San
Francisco on April 20 for $50, but it shows up as being a 16- or 20-hour
busride.  Is that right?!?  Is it really that long of a drive?

It is about 12 hours by car, so that sounds about right by bus.

Amtrak also serves that route.  Trains leave Portland at 2:25pm,
arriving in Oakland at 8:35am and San Jose at 9:55am.  Cost is $61.
Sleepers are available starting at $139 (in addition to train fare).

Any tips on finding good rates on one-way airfares?  I'm contemplating the
possibility of taking a one-way flight from Boston to Portland on April 16
and then a one-way flight back from San Francisco to Boston sometime the
weekend of April 26-27.

There are several ways to do this.

* One way tickets: BOS-PDX $298, PDX-SFO $143, SFO-BOS $164.  Total $605.
* Ditto, but with Amtrak PDX-SFO: BOS-PDX $298, Amtrak PDX-SFO $61,
  SFO-BOS $164.  Total $523.
* Multiple destination tour: BOS-PDX-SFO-BOS $548.50
* Round trips: BOS-SFO $223, SFO-PDX $124.  Total $347.
  Or, BOS-PDX $376, PDX-SFO $124.  Total $500.

There is no nonstop service from BOS-PDX, but some flights change
planes in SFO.  Perhaps you can get an extended layover when you
change planes in SFO.  But that's still $376.

I remember hearing about a special program with Amtrak and United
where you can book a trip that involves both.  Dunno if that would
help here.

All prices are from travelocity.com.  Note: they may not be available
on the dates you want to travel, but by traveling a day earlier or
later in some cases you can get better prices.

--Bill.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by
little statesmen and philosophers and divines."        - Emerson