 Local / United States / Ohio / 260
Re: CO BrikWars get together
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.oh
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 22:23:06 GMT

drew@netpluscom.com (LegoMasterLuke) wrote in <FsxAGw.C3y@lugnet.com>:
We should do that EndorMoon supplement sometime. From what I've
heard of it (From you, no less!) it sounds pretty fun.
  <whisper> Please tell me that you are joking back.  I'm pretty sure
PM saves me from feeling like an old fogey when I make vague SW
references. </whisper>

You know, this entire game opens up huge RPG adventures. We should
try a BrikWar event to be more "RPG-like." Build a Lego hero, and
then use him to squash little NPC's.... more like Dungeons &
Dragons.

It would be easier to monitor unit HP that way, because there would
be no more then 8 -plus or minus a few- units fighting at one time..
  With the campaign rules, you'd generally only track HP for characters
in any case.  The majority of combatants should NOT be characters in a
battle.  HP-tracked units wouldn't exceed more than a handful in any
case.

  BTW, my whole point in pursuing this ridiculous thread was two-fold.
One, to thwart some high-tech bias.  And, two, to bounce around some
ideas to allow cross-TL rules to be thought through.

  I think we've come to the conclusion that cross-TL battles can be fun
if two things are done.  First, the lower-TL army will generally need
to be a good bit bigger for an evenly matched fight.  This leads back
to the idea of point penalties/bonuses.  My instinct says that a 2-1
ratio for each TL difference is about right.  Hopefully, we can provide
some insight into this topic Saturday.  Secondly, large high-TL forces,
vs huge low-TL forces is boring.  Particularly if the high-TL force
uses fancy vehicles.

  However, smallish armies of troopers against lower-TL forces sounds
like fun.

  As to high-tech bias, two points need to be made.  One, magic is
equivelant to high-tech.  Gee, I seem to recall a quote about that.
Kudos to the first person who responds with what I'm referring to.

  Second, specific weapons are geared to specific environments.
Assuming a cost model like the one we have, a TL3 force can hold its
own against a TL5 force under conditions where neither has an
engineering advantage.  What I mean is, TL3 forces suck at air-battles,
naturally.  However, TL3-4 forces are very good in forests.  One of the
main reasons is that TL3 technologies were mostly designed for fighting
in a forest.  BTW, a department store has most of the same relavent
characteristics.  Imagine a group of WolfPack vs a SWAT team in a
department store setting.

  My ueber-wizard is just another case of this.  He's TL6-7.  How many
marines would you need to be able to field to stop him?  Keep in mind,
this is like facing a Champion with two death guns, 5d10 Armor, a
PsiAmp, JetPack and Cloaking (statistics generated using my
PullOutOfAir device).  Or, for a TL7, like facing Q.

  Low-tech does not mean low carnage.  And, magic is not really low
tech.  "How come our gyro guns won't shoot anything but daisies?"

    Later,
    Gino A...