 Local / United States / Ohio / 187
Re: CO BrikWars get together
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.oh
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 16:27:03 GMT

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000 14:56:37 GMT, "LegoMasterLuke"
<drew@netpluscom.com> wrote:

<snip>

If somebody launches a missile at my horribly expensive flyers, I *will* want
Flares & Chaff. And you are wrong -- Chaff works against ANY missile. Flares
work against heatseeking missiles & radar-guided missiles.

Chaff does not work against ANY missile, namely heat seeking ones.
Missiles that remember your radar or thermal signature are unlikely to
be duped by chaff. Also in the Gulf War, at least 2 aircraft that I
know of where taken out by Maverick AGMs (Air to Ground missiles).
From what I remember both were the optically guided version which
stand little chance of being distracted by chaff clouds. Also, laser
guided weapons, those that require a laser to be optically targeted on
a specific unit are unlikely to be fooled by chaff.

Chaff -- a large metallic cloud of metal particles. Dropped out the back of an
aircraft, will ruin a missile trying to fly through it. (The intense radar
reflections will also attract a radar guided missile.)

Chaff is not an offensive counter measure. That is, it is not
"designed" to destroy missiles by damaging them as they fly thru it.
The chance of a missile hitting a piece of chaff is actually pretty
small. Chaff is designed to spread out quickly to form the largest
radar signature in the shortest period of time. Most Air to Air
missiles (heat seeker and radar guided) use proximity fuses, i.e. when
they get close to their target, they detonate sending out a large
amount of shrapnel to damage or destroy enemy aircraft. When the radar
guided missile gets near the chaff, the proximity fuse detonates,
destroying the missile. Heat seeking missiles are unlikely to be
fooled by chaff nor will they even fly thru the chaff cloud if the
targeted aircraft is evading in any way.

Many larger aircraft actually make their own chaff as needed. Their
chaff is stored as a single long roll of metal stored on one or more
reels. As the radar from the missile is detected, the wavelength can
be obtained, and the chaff will be fed thru a cutter before exiting
the aircraft. The cutter cuts the chaff into strips that match the
wavelength of the missile, hence making the missile even more apt to
fly after the chaff cloud.

Flares -- very hot object, designed to lure a heat seaking missile away from
the aircraft that dropped it. The flares were also built to have a HUGE radar
reflection, so they work against a radar guided missile too.

If I was a pilot, the only time I'd try to use a flare against a radar
guided missile is if I was out of chaff, I'd also be ready to eject.

Stealth -- a heat seeking missile, or a radar guided missile will and CAN NOT
hurt an aircraft endowed with stealth armor.

Stealth armor? Stealth really isn't an armor, its a technology. While
radar guided missiles might have a difficult time locking on to a
stealth aircraft, heat seeking missiles are a threat. While the heat
signature from engine exhaust can be masked somewhat, there is still a
thermal signature that heat seeking missiles can detect and home in
on.

Stealth armor is different from a cloaking device. The difference is this --
stealth protects you from any missile that would attempt to lock onto your
aircraft. (You are also invisible to radar.) A stealth unit can, however, be
spotted VISUALLY (as long as it is not night -- they are jet black, impossible
to see.) and fired upon. You cannot use a missile to fire upon it -- useless.
However, lasers or guns are fare game.

Missiles that are optically guided either by targeting a laser or
keeping the target in a cross hairs can be used against stealth
aircraft.

Trust me, I know these things :)

LegoMasterLuke

Even though many of the things mentioned above may be in context with
a BrikWars campaign, the way things work in the future will pretty
much be the same. The only difference being that flares and chaff in a
futuristic setting will just about be obsolete, except when fighting
against a low tech world. All missiles will be of the fire and forget
type and will be built in such a way that they detect and remember
individual aircraft or ground unit signatures and they will not stray
from their original target no matter what is deployed to fool them.

Instead of flares and chaff in the future, I think we'll see more
stealth and reactive armor (perhaps in combination), anti missile
missiles, and perhaps even small smart guns similar to the USN's
Phalanx system, but small enough to be placed on aircraft or ground
units.

All that being said....

I do live in Cleveland and perhaps I'd be up for a BrikWars event in
Columbus. I have mostly space units, mainly infantry. While I've never
played BrikWars, I've got 20 years of gaming experience, including
AD&D, Ogre, Palladium, GURPS, you name it. The only problem being that
I work 3rd shift, my last day of the week starting at 11:59 pm Friday,
so I don't get off work till Saturday morning, but I think I could
still make it.

Jeff Christner

Visit Sixby Fire Tech at - http://members.aol.com/regult/

Help support my LEGO habit. Ship by rail.
Visit http://www.nscorp.com/ to find out how.