 Local / United States / Ohio / 185
Re: CO BrikWars get together
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.oh
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 14:56:37 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.oh, Mike Rayhawk writes:
In lugnet.loc.us.oh, Drew Lawrence writes:
Should we define a battle scenario?  Something like, "free-for-all on
neutral territory" or "opposing fortresses" or "siege".  Should we plan on
having teams?  Or do we want to start as a free-for-all?

A free for all is probably the best, as it leaves out buildings. (More • below.)

Even if you don't buy bases or bunkers for your armies, you're going to want
to build a lot of 'scenery' buildings (which cost 0 CP since they don't really
belong to anybody) or some other kind of cover, or the minifigs aren't going
to last more than a couple rounds against the vehicles.

Well, yeah -- I thought that was a "given." I generally meant that I will have
no defensive buildings, as they are essentially a huge waste of points.

Just random stuff. Buildings that can take any sort of abuse are waaaaaay to
expensive.. I thought about fielding a fully armed Bunker -- biiiig mistake.
240 points. The armed men to put inside would have cost the other 60. (Who
would have died horribly when somebody through a grenade through one of the
gun ports on the Bunker.)

ha ha

You don't want to field such a heavy fortification in a battle this small,
it's true.  If you really wanted to play a defensive game under the 300 CP
limit, I'd build one or two rings of cheap 2d10 walls to slow down ground
vehicles and enemy infantry, and build a couple of emplaced Mortars and
Lasers, not bigger than MkII or MkIII; the rest of the points would go to a
Small Hover Flyer and infantry.

The danger with setting up for a defensive game is this: if you're the only
defensive player on the board, the game is pretty exciting.  If there's more
than one defensive player, things can get real dull real quick.  It looks like
there's going to be at least one player bringing a medieval army, so his best
bet will be to sit in a (small) castle and wait to release the horsemen until
he sees the whites of his enemies' eyes - you could both sit forever waiting
for the other guy to poke his head out of his stronghold first.

And I like the idea of attacking a medieval with an X-Wing. (j/k) If we play
realisticly, your Archers cannot hurt it. (Go fire an arrow at a solid metal
object -- "ping." Makes a nice noise, but thats about it.)

Don't forget what happened to the Delorean in Back to the Future III - you
never know what can go wrong when you have a bunch of guys shooting arrows at
you.  I can tell you from experience that a longbow can easily put an arrow
through a car door, and sometimes out the door on the other side.  I doubt the
metal skin of an X-Wing is all that thick, since its main defense is energy
shielding.

Alas, there is a HUGE argument over this -- what does the energy shielding do
against a physical object? I don't intend to use an X-Wing in this event
anyway .... but rather, something even WORSE. (for them ... muwhhahaha)

Game related, I would like to ask about some inventory -- flyer survival
equipment. Can I get flares? Chaff? Ejection seats? Additional rockets? Maybe
even Stealth equipment? (Represented by an all-black aircraft with a weird
shape.)

Flares, chaff, and stealth only make any difference against enemies who are
using heatseeking missiles, radar-guided missiles, or radar in general.  You
can build them in if you want, they won't cost you anything, since they won't
provide any particular benefit.  Pilots don't need ejection seats since they
can exit any vehicle instantly, but if a Flyer Pilot plans on doing that on a
regular basis he's going to want a Parachute.  If you want to give your Flyer
more engine power you can give it a Vehicle Performance Modification (under
4.1.3: Performance).

If somebody launches a missile at my horribly expensive flyers, I *will* want
Flares & Chaff. And you are wrong -- Chaff works against ANY missile. Flares
work against heatseeking missiles & radar-guided missiles.

Chaff -- a large metallic cloud of metal particles. Dropped out the back of an
aircraft, will ruin a missile trying to fly through it. (The intense radar
reflections will also attract a radar guided missile.)

Flares -- very hot object, designed to lure a heat seaking missile away from
the aircraft that dropped it. The flares were also built to have a HUGE radar
reflection, so they work against a radar guided missile too.

Stealth -- a heat seeking missile, or a radar guided missile will and CAN NOT
hurt an aircraft endowed with stealth armor.

The stealth equipment question again -- can I make other stealth units?

There are rules for TL6 Cloaking Devices (under 6.4.2: Siege Equipment and
Armor) but they're a little complicated and not everybody likes allow cloaked
units.

Stealth armor is different from a cloaking device. The difference is this --
stealth protects you from any missile that would attempt to lock onto your
aircraft. (You are also invisible to radar.) A stealth unit can, however, be
spotted VISUALLY (as long as it is not night -- they are jet black, impossible
to see.) and fired upon. You cannot use a missile to fire upon it -- useless.
However, lasers or guns are fare game.

- Mike Rayhawk

   Check out the Official BrikWars Home Page at
  http://www.teleport.com/~rayhawks/brikwars.htm

Trust me, I know these things :)

LegoMasterLuke