 Local / United States / New York / Syracuse / 110
Re: A get together suggestion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny.syr
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 20:09:43 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ny.syr, Wayne Sardullo writes:
In lugnet.loc.us.ny.syr, John Rudy writes:
In lugnet.loc.us.ny.syr, John Barnes writes:
I noted that someone mentioned Noodle-Kidoodle.

I guess that was me = )
(Don't forget their chain was just bought by Zaiy Brainy...the store that
has had ridiculous Lego deals...ZB is supposoed to officially merge/unify
operations July 1st (I believe)

I don't live in Syracuse, so Carousel is not a regular place for me
to go. But I did notice they have quite a lot of Lego, and they are the
only local place with the new roboriders.

Carousel is probably one of the more centrally located areas....easy to
find...located off major routes.

I am still working on the community room idea at my apartment complex...this
is a seperate building that houses the corporate office, a small gym and a
comunity room.  The community room has ktchen facilities, tables/chairs and
a large screen TV+home theater system that has been used to dispaly "home
movies" via digital camcorders and cameras.  If people could suggest future
"open weekends" or whatever...I would be able to make a reservation.

This would be worth discussing at any future Carousel meeting...This room
would be able to accomodate mindstorms trains and large castles better than
a mall...

I think this sounds good, but we need to get (not
going to kid you here) A LOT stronger.  We haven't
met each other yet, which I feel is the first step.
We might be able to talk them into this mid November,
when they want a sales push on the older stuff to make
shelf space.

Retailes generally don't want to here from you during the Prime shopping
season...retailers are more open to special events during low traffic
seasons (like summer) to boost sales.  In addition, these retailers are part
of large corporations....quite often the manager's hands are tied; they may
like to sponsor an event but the company isn't interested (Re:
insurance/liability hassles, cost, etc.)  To make it worth a retailer's
time....there would have to be 100 of us or more w/ "cash coming out the wazoo"

    But first off, we should meet each other
so if we do do something like this, we arn't running
through a dense forest blind.

Agreed...the journey of a thousand miles starts begins w/ a step (or a new
pair of sneakers or something = )

This sounds like a Good Idea. I know it was easy for me to run into John when I
got my auction winnings from him in person. What I thought would be a simple
exchange turn out to be a two hour chat in his car. Was Nice to meet someone
with Lego on the Brain.

Interesting conversation ....I tend to talk too much when I am enthusiastic
about something...lol

I guess we will have to start "tagging" Johns in this discussion...their
should be a Lugnet group ... Lugnet.johns

The Mall Sounds like a good meeting place. Count me in! Just don't have it
between July 7-24 I will be out of the state for my long needed vacation.

Fair enough...I will be out of town 1-2 of the weekends in the same time frame.

So how about talking to them about sponsoring a Lego day there? Might even
be able to widen the circle a bit. Of course, I seem to be the only
Mindstorms AFOL in the area, so I don't know if it would appeal to me that
much unless other like minded people started popping out of the woodwork.

John Barnes
Holland Patent

Colin Tseng in Toronto has had a fair bit of success w/ Mindstorms
events....attracting Lego fans from both the US and Canada...

It maybe worth discussing in the Mindstorms groups about a get together
here...hey people from Boston made it to DC....CNY would be a heck of alot
easier...

You could try posting on rtl about interest as well as Lugnet.  you might
coax some people into delurking = )

                   johnNYblaze
                  John R. Kanehl
    (a 3rd John, neither John Barnes, nor John Rudy)